New to turtles

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
thinking to add turtles to the pond, but realized I have no clue about them.
1) First of all do they need to go inside in the winters? My climate is 6a and would rather not need to winterize as I don't have inside tanks.
2) Also, do they need to be fed? I'm away for weeks at a time so if regular feeding is necessary, maybe not a good choice.
3) If the above two checks out, Looking for small turtles which are hardy in my climate, suggest a few varieties please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Don’t. They do need fed daily, with a varied diet, have dry areas to bask in the sun, and dry land to hibernate. Turtles are more needy than fish, and the species you pick determines their needs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If you are seriously interested in turtles, do your research, find a mostly aquatic species that can take your temps, and maybe hibernate in water. If you have fish, they’ll nip them, eat small ones they can catch, otherwise, they’ll need food pellets, fresh veggies, and vitamins.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is easier to keep turtles in a dedicated pond with a large basking area. Some pond keepers have them with koi and plants etc but it is easier to keep them in their own pond. A turtle pond is unique, fun and a real conversation piece. Turtles live a very long time. Our oldest Red-Ear Slider is 32 this May. The New York Turtle and Tortise Society is near you and can provide tremendous assistance. Good luck!
Stephen

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree with what was already mentioned.

Really depends on your pond set up. As I have mentioned previously here, I have kept DBack terrapins for years, in my main pond year round. However, I built the pond with them in mind, so they could hibernate/Brumate in the pond and strategically placed rocks and driftwood for basking spots.

I avoided sliders and painted turtles while nice looking turtles they can be hard on plants.(speaking from experience)

Feeding wise, turtles don’t need to be fed every day, but I wouldn’t go weeks with out feeding mine. I usually fed mine every other day or three days, with a diet of various pellet food for them. I also feed my terrapins what the eat in the wild ....clams, crabs, fish, etc, during the summer months once a week.

More than likely if a turtle would do well in your pond it would be a painted turtle. They stay small relative to most semi aquatic turtles and are very hardy turtles. I used to keep them years ago before I moved and have observed them walking on the pond bottom under the ice.

Lastly, you will need to have your pond fenced in or someway to keep them from escaping because they are quite adept at getting out of enclosures if not built correctly to contain them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lastly, you will need to have your pond fenced in or someway to keep them from escaping because they are quite adept at getting out of enclosures if not built correctly to contain them.
Yep! Turtles are expert escape artists — they climb, they dig, and I would bet that they are able to levitate if they put their little turtle brains to it! Never underestimate what a turtle is capable of!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Absolutely agree with Mmathis about containing turtles. It is a constant challenge to contain them. And, if you keep non-native species it is essential to do so. I have a 32-year old Red-Ear Slider who enjoys showing how very clever she can be :). But your third question is good. Look for native species that can be legally kept and then plan around their needs. Years ago when living around a bunch of lakes I installed an island in one of my ponds to see what it would attract. A juvenile painted turtle showed up and took up temporary residence. Interesting, but I was glad when it decided to move on. The island attracted frogs and tons of dragonflies. Anyway, if you want to pursue keeping turtles we will help. Live your dream.
Stephen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
what about frogs? do they need another water source?

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is a novel idea just keeping frogs and tadpoles. The air would be filled with melodic singing at night. Sounds interesting, why not try it?
Stephen

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Just don’t watch that really bad 70’s horror movie “frogs” and you’ll be fine. Seriously, I love the idea!

Ask a Question