New to your site

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My issue is what is best to fill around my pond. Last fall we got over run by rats for some reason so I had to pull out the prefab pond which was 4 foot wide by 8 feet. The rats had made tunnels around the pond and we needed to get them rid of. We had an exterminator come in and within 3 weeks the rats were gone. Under the plastic prefab pond were holes and tunnels every where so I removed everything and leveled out the area. I will be ready to reset and level the pond again soon but what is best to fill around the pond so that the rats do not stay and make their homes if they come back. I was reading to place sand on the bottom to level off the pond again. Then fill around the pond with a small rounded stone or type of gravel That way any digging then the holes will cave in and the rats will move on. Any suggestion will certainly give me a helping hand.

Doctor mcboy

hes dead jim
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
ugh nasty critters for sure ,when i had chickens i was overrun with them. look for a food supply and get rid of it the rats are there for the food and will move on if there is none. rats can chew thu anything except stone ,concrete, and metal.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum!

I have no clue on what to tell you to do.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry to hear that you are still having rat problems! We have an occasional rodent, but never any that dig or try to get under the pond.

The only thing I can think of would be to dig down (how deep do the rats burrow? — deeper than that) and backfill the hole with rocks and maybe hardware cloth. Then backfill over that to the level for your pond, then level it and place the pond on top.

IDK, maybe if you could post some pictures, it might help us understand what’s going on.

Ask a Question