Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
The male red eared slider I took in about 2 weeks ago was healthy enough to move into a 75 gallon tank this morning. When I got him he had a very thick fracture on the left side of his plastron and a deep scratch on his the center of his carapace. The lady who brought him to me said there were some children who would throw rocks at him in the creek and so I think he may have got crushed by one based on the injury location and the amount of damage. I filled the plastron fracture with FG + epoxy but decided to let the carapace heal and only applied antibiotics to it. The carapace has fully closed and the scratch is almost gone. The fracture in his plastron is still not completely healed but the epoxy has it secured and completely sealed so it should be 100% in another 20 - 30 days. I a picture of him below taken after he was moved into the large aquarium and had his first meal of the day (dried shrimp & greens) :D

DSCN2633.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes Well done Marshall :happy: however what I simply cant understand is just how cruel children are becoming nowadays why cause damage to a beautiful creature like this :mad:
Personally I know what I'd do with them and that involves a visit to their parents from the US equivulent of our R.S.P.C.A

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Yes Well done Marshall :happy: however what I simply cant understand is just how cruel children are becoming nowadays why cause damage to a beautiful creature like this :mad:
Personally I know what I'd do with them and that involves a visit to their parents from the US equivulent of our R.S.P.C.A

Dave
I know it is insane how evil children are nowadays. If I knew who they were the only people visiting the parents would be someone trying to figure out how their children ended up in swamp full of alligator snapping turtles :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Well done Marshall.
I had turtles as a child, but because of salmonella scares in the 70's, my parents made me release it in a local lake........(n)
Not good, I know, if we only knew then what we know now.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Well done Marshall.
I had turtles as a child, but because of salmonella scares in the 70's, my parents made me release it in a local lake........(n)
Not good, I know, if we only knew then what we know now.

Yes it is sad that these creatures carry that bacteria but at the same time you really have nothing to worry about unless you are not familiar with the mode of infection which can be mitigated by simply washing your hands after handling one. But you are right that people did go crazy in the 70's . And what you did may not be ideal (release to wild) but I see cases much much worse where people simply get the turtle for entertainment and then abuse and neglect it to the point that I would even advocate release before what some people do. Last March I brought in a rescue that was a 11.5 inch female that had been kept in a 15 gallon tank with no heat lamp and only 4 inches of water. I took me about 3 months just to bring it out of shock and had to hand feed and administer supplements the whole time because the turtle had become completely lethargic and did not even have the will power to get under a heat lamp in order to warm up so she could metabolize food and eat. The good news is that I eventually got her well and she is now one of my personal turtles and not available for adoption.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes it is sad that these creatures carry that bacteria but at the same time you really have nothing to worry about unless you are not familiar with the mode of infection which can be mitigated by simply washing your hands after handling one. But you are right that people did go crazy in the 70's . And what you did may not be ideal (release to wild) but I see cases much much worse where people simply get the turtle for entertainment and then abuse and neglect it to the point that I would even advocate release before what some people do. Last March I brought in a rescue that was a 11.5 inch female that had been kept in a 15 gallon tank with no heat lamp and only 4 inches of water. I took me about 3 months just to bring it out of shock and had to hand feed and administer supplements the whole time because the turtle had become completely lethargic and did not even have the will power to get under a heat lamp in order to warm up so she could metabolize food and eat. The good news is that I eventually got her well and she is now one of my personal turtles and not available for adoption.
Sadly we have sliders and snapping turtles in our british lakes and ponds where they shouldnt be and they are causing damage to the local wildlife , here it was the Niinja Turtle craze but those cute little turtles soon grew to the size of dinner plates and wherre ditched into the wild here where it was thought the first winter would finish them off .
However they didnt die only hibernated now they are a problem :(

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Sadly we have sliders and snapping turtles in our british lakes and ponds where they shouldnt be and they are causing damage to the local wildlife , here it was the Niinja Turtle craze but those cute little turtles soon grew to the size of dinner plates and wherre ditched into the wild here where it was thought the first winter would finish them off .
However they didnt die only hibernated now they are a problem :(

Dave
Just goes to show that my insistence on screening a possible "parent" for one of my turtles is not simply an over reaction. I don't want someone to make an impulse decision about it because that "awww" & "he is so cute" bull :poop: can go sour very quickly when they start to grow and the owner learns they are not not like goldfish where you might have em for 2 years or even 2 days. My oldest male is 14 years old and has many years left so these are long term commitments. Back to your comment about the invasive aspects of the species, they are banned outright in all but a couple states in Australia & here in the US I would receive a 1000 dollar fine for every turtle I have up for adoption if they are under 4 inches long and the USDA would also destroy any turtles under 4 inches and all eggs on sight plus pull my permits. Considering the time and care I devote to these little guys I think that is why I try so hard to make sure they make it to good homes and that is even ignoring the obvious which is the money invested into the care and keep of them which comes out of my pocket 100% because I don't charge for any adoption. It costs me roughly $15,000.00 give or take a few hundred each year to run the operation. Some years are more depending on the number I take in and how long I keep them before they find home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Just goes to show that my insistence on screening a possible "parent" for one of my turtles is not simply an over reaction. I don't want someone to make an impulse decision about it because that "awww" & "he is so cute" bull :poop: can go sour very quickly when they start to grow and the owner learns they are not not like goldfish where you might have em for 2 years or even 2 days. My oldest male is 14 years old and has many years left so these are long term commitments. Back to your comment about the invasive aspects of the species, they are banned outright in all but a couple states in Australia & here in the US I would receive a 1000 dollar fine for every turtle I have up for adoption if they are under 4 inches long and the USDA would also destroy any turtles under 4 inches and all eggs on sight plus pull my permits. Considering the time and care I devote to these little guys I think that is why I try so hard to make sure they make it to good homes and that is even ignoring the obvious which is the money invested into the care and keep of them which comes out of my pocket 100% because I don't charge for any adoption. It costs me roughly $15,000.00 give or take a few hundred each year to run the operation. Some years are more depending on the number I take in and how long I keep them before they find home.
The same with goldfish and koi Marshall the life span for a goldfish is up to 40+ years and that of a koi a staggering 80+ years , infact if the Japanese have record of Hanaku a koi who was born 25 years before Americas signing of Independance and lived up to 1978 .
Western koi experts Poo Poo that Idea but why should the Japanese Lie , to lie is to loose face and face in Japan is everything our buyers are vetted by us prior to selling them which means a pond visit from us to look at what they have both in Equipment and koi before we let them go .

Dave

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
The same with goldfish and koi Marshall the life span for a goldfish is up to 40+ years and that of a koi a staggering 80+ years , infact if the Japanese have record of Hanaku a koi who was born 25 years before Americas signing of Independance and lived up to 1978 .
Western koi experts Poo Poo that Idea but why should the Japanese Lie , to lie is to loose face and face in Japan is everything our buyers are vetted by us prior to selling them which means a pond visit from us to look at what they have both in Equipment and koi before we let them go .

Dave
When I said goldfish I was referring to the cheap feeder ones that most people end up killing or alot don't make it too long. But I know what you mean cause I had a friend who had 4 fancy goldfish that lived 12 years.

Ask a Question