New TV Show - Pond Stars

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Big Lou, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Big Lou

Lisaebetten

sorry forgot, I don't have anything against AQ or for them they are just another pond product business to me. I didn't gravel in my pond but foamed the walls with field stone.

Lisaebetten, Sep 25, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Big Lou

Tula

I don't think not having rocks on the bottom of your pond, or removing them as in my case, means you won't have to net debris from the pond's bottom. This was my first season since removing the gravel from my pond, I thought my water would have been clearer, but particles that normally would be trapped in the gravel, swirl throughout the water.

Tula, Sep 25, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Big Lou

Lisaebetten

I was wondering about that when I put the lights on at night. I see stuff but not a problem, I try to keep my pond clean but then again it is a pond out side soo......there will be stuff... and you should see my kitchen floor sometimes!!!!

Tula likes this.
  4. Big Lou

Lisak1

The AS biofalls is designed to hold filter media - bioballs typically, or the media of your choice - and filter pads. The top of the biofalls is built to hold plants, both floating and planted. So, yes, they believe in filtration. They also believe in bog filtration - they inspired our first consideration to build our bog and talked us through the process.

I'm putting that koi cam on my Christmas list!

Lisak1, Sep 25, 2014
  5. Big Lou

Lisaebetten

6. Big Lou

Lisak1

We don't have a biofalls. I have seen lots of ponds with planted biofalls though. I'll see if I can find a few pictures - I obsessively took photos on pond walks!

Lisak1, Sep 25, 2014
  7. Big Lou

Lisaebetten

Oh you don't have to dig for me, I can google some pic. I just forgot about plants in the box thing, wasn't top on my pond project list.

8. Big Lou

Lisak1

Well, honestly I love a good excuse to look at pond pictures and reminisce - "Remember this one? They had that cool dragonfly sculpture!" However, it's harder than you might think. A well-planted biofalls is difficult to spot in a photo. But we've seen them planted with hyacinths, hostas, grasses and reeds, papyrus, taro - you name it. All beautiful!

Lisak1, Sep 25, 2014
  9. Big Lou

Lisaebetten

great, hostas! My box doesn't see the light of day!!

10. Big Lou

Lisak1

Hostas would be perfect then! We planted hostas in our bog - two small cuttings that we got from a neighbor. I didn't think they would grow, but they look great and are ready to be divided.

Lisak1, Sep 25, 2014
  11. Big Lou

Big Lou

Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
    What media did you use? Do you know of any evergreen hostas? I'm in zone 8a

Big Lou, Sep 25, 2014
  12. Big Lou

Jeff Zimnisky

I actually removed both the filter pads in my aqua scape waterfall and only left one in the skimmer only to protect my pump from damaging debris. Ive never had clearer water then I have now. As far as the rocks covering the bottom of my pond, they've stayed pretty dam clean over the summer. The Koi have been doing a dam good job at keeping them clean.

Jeff Zimnisky, Sep 25, 2014
  13. Big Lou

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

"Aquatic frogs such as the leopard frog(Rana pipiens) and American bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana) typically hibernate underwater. A common misconception is that they spend the winter the way aquatic turtles do, dug into the mud at the bottom of a pond or stream. In fact, hibernating frogs would suffocate if they dug into the mud for an extended period of time. A hibernating turtle's metabolism slows down so drastically that it can get by on the mud's meager oxygen supply. Hibernating aquatic frogs, however, must be near oxygen-rich water and spend a good portion of the winter just lying on top of the mud or only partially buried. They may even slowly swim around from time to time."

addy1, Sep 25, 2014
  14. Big Lou

I found a decent underwater camera, which If I recall the info correctly could be fed into a tv without a dvr. Nice wide angle, no batteries, just a power supply. I will look it up when we get home and let you know.

addy1, Sep 25, 2014
  15. Big Lou

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

I did find it humorous that he called a "Doitsu" koi a "DIOTSU" (dye-otsu).

koiguy1969, Sep 25, 2014
  16. Big Lou

Lisaebetten

Why did you remove the pads from the falls box? I noticed on a pond tour that all the people removed their pads from the skimmer and just used the net. I want to protect my pump also so at least one will stay in.

17. Big Lou

Lisaebetten

Hm, my pond doesn't have mud so I don't know if they could winter there but I have the small peanut shaped preform I could put in the ground near the pond. I left some of the muck in it when I moved it to my house assuming they liked it and where used to it. Although they have all but 1 moved to my pond. Should I put a small air stone in it, I have 2 ports.

18. Big Lou

I don't have mud in my pond, a slight layer of muck, maybe a inch or so. I have netted up barely moving frogs when pulling out leaves, I just toss them back in. I have frogs in all my ponds from big to tiny, where they actually winter I really don't know, need gps trackers on them. All I know is come spring I have frogs in all of the ponds again, from the tiny tiny stream water collections to the big pond.

I just don't worry about them seems they do fine on their own.

addy1, Sep 25, 2014
    mariobrothersleeve likes this.
  19. Big Lou

Jeff Zimnisky

Because I found that it actually restricts the flow and the water is
    just as clear without it. I still have one in the skimmer to protect the pump.

Jeff Zimnisky, Sep 25, 2014
    Lisaebetten likes this.
  20. Big Lou

koiguy1969 GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!

That kitchen and bath are pretty fancy for a pond. Can the fish use it? I know mine can't cook.

koiguy1969, Sep 26, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question