JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They mentioned something about the fish and she said she didn't want to ever have to touch them.

Yeah, I thought that was an odd thing to say. Never realized some people are scared of touching fish!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My fish love me and nibble on me when I'm in the pond. I like how they come right up to my fingers when I feed them. I just hope the lady learns to love them as we all do here. When she looked at them in the bag at first she made a yucky face at them but then smiled. Maybe there is hope :)
I sure wish they did followups on the people they did the ponds for. See how they liked them so far.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It creeps me out. I have handled sharks, rays, turtles, and octopus when I taught diving but never fish. The fish never allowed it and I just never had the opportunity. I was attacked once by, (don't laugh) the humuhumunukunukuapua'a (aka triggerfish but it sounds better when you say it in Hawaiian). So yeah I kinda fall into that category.

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with it, in fact I have a ton of rocks all over my living-room floor. It's impossible to keep the carpet clean, and guests are always tripping and falling over the rocks, but I really like the look of the rocks. ;)
Oh my wallie gollie, I never thought of putting them on my living room floor. I know my hubby would draw the line there, "either the rocks go!! Or I go"!!! I can hear it now. But I do have my sea glass, and beach finds in containers with other special geodes around the house. I have a heart rock collection in my 1/2 bath and kitchen window. I even have rock counter tops in my kitchen, how fitting for me!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I watched it last night for the first time and enjoyed it, but hey, it's not like it's reality for most of us. I never saw ponds go in so quickly and huge koi too! I didn't note any discussion of filtration, so am thinking it's just rocks and water falls...is that the reference I read earlier to Aqua Scape styled pond?

Reaction score
I would love to see pictures of your rock counter top.
It's granite :) and a common one at that, but if ya really must see it...........and a few more. I didn't dust for you, sorry take me as I am cause I just spent 1 year of my life digging a pond! Wow I even have rocks in my soap dishes!!
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 5.JPG

Reaction score
I watch Tanked on Netflix, they do some awesome work. Also watch My Cat from Hell. Learned all kinds of stuff about the kitty and the guys name Jackson Galaxy is one of the coolest names out there.
I would love to see one of their tanks still running...... saltwater doesn't work like that!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
didn't note any discussion of filtration, so am thinking it's just rocks and water falls...

That's the problem of a reality-type show. They'll never get into the real details of building a pond. They don't think their viewers will care about anything other than getting to the final product. Its probably why they create drama over a simple "koi cam" instead of explaining the filtration setup.

As we all know, building a pond could easily fill up an hour long episode with good footage, no scripted drama needed!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
aquascape doesn't really employ "fiters" in their systems.. the streams, and stones throughout is the biofilter. they may throw some media in the waterfall basin.
believe me, I am not a fan of rock covered pond, or aquascape for that matter. but it is what it is.

Reaction score
I have 4 inches of rock in the bottom of my pond for 7 years now and havent had 1 issue. Gravel bottoms get blamed for everything except lasiness.
I have seen in person the bottom of an unrocked pond that had muck and yuck in it. When we scooped it out it bent the net and it smelled like sewage. I don't even know how many years that pond did not get cleaned out. Trees and gardens all around it. Nice yard, the owner just let it go nature I guess. It had a few fish and tons of frogs and tads. I don't know how they survived winters but they did. We cleaned it out and said we would come back in the fall to scoop out the leaves. Do the frogs go down in that muck to winter?

Reaction score
aquascape doesn't really employ "fiters" in their systems.. the streams, and stones throughout is the biofilter. they may throw some media in the waterfall basin.
believe me, I am not a fan of rock covered pond, or aquascape for that matter. but it is what it is.
I have an aquascapes skimmer that has 2 layers of thick filter pads and a net in it with the pump to the falls box that has 2 more thick filter pads and a combo of bio balls and lava rock on top. I don't think they believe in no filter media do they? I got it because I wanted a skimmer and thats what I found on Craigslist.

Ask a Question