New UK member.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, New member here from the South East of England, had to finally join up after months of reading, learning, getting ideas and a little confused. Anyway, the pond and waterfall are nearly done so I suppose the questions may start coming thick and fast. I look forward to learning more so thanks for having me.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! Post some pictures of your almost done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No problem and welcome ask a way we all started somewhere and many people have many solutions to many problems no question is to small or daft to ask, as it's all about the health welfare and enjoying our ponds there is nothing more depressing as when we think all our hard work wa a wast of time believe me at one point I was at my wits end

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, New member here from the South East of England, had to finally join up after months of reading, learning, getting ideas and a little confused. Anyway, the pond and waterfall are nearly done so I suppose the questions may start coming thick and fast. I look forward to learning more so thanks for having me.
Welcome zoompod , you dont say what your keeping goldfish or koi ?
No problem and welcome ask a way we all started somewhere and many people have many solutions to many problems no question is to small or daft to ask, as it's all about the health welfare and enjoying our ponds there is nothing more depressing as when we think all our hard work wa a wast of time believe me at one point I was at my wits end
Slick is correct non of us are expert in what we do but most have a working knowlege of goldfish and koi health issues and are more than willing to help out when a member gets into trouble with their fish .
Where abouts in the South East are you from ?

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies chaps, we haven't decided what we want to keep yet but I do have a soft spot for some ghost koi. I need to slow the flow rate of the waterfall down so that's today's problem, I need to fit some stop cocks as the filter is lower than the pond as well so I was going to use them to control the flow but hopefully not overload the pump. Next step then is to finish the surround and plant it out, leave it to sit a while and go from there. Dave 54, I'm in a village just outside of Horsham West Sussex.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanx zoom pod ghost koi are a nice chioce of fish but be aware down that roue is a serious addiction just ask any koi keeper its how we all start out slick included .
What reading have you been doing internet or book , books are always your better bet the information therin factual and good not all internet information is good.

Bellow are two books you can buy from Amazon which will hep you in the future

The Manual of Fish Health ISBN 0861013869. Dr Chris Andrews Adrian Exell, Dr Neville Carrington

Hand Book of Fish Diseases (All Fish) ISBN 0866227032. Dieter Untergasser.

If you go down the koi route then check out our library of koi books in the articles section :-

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/articles/our-updated-library-with-reviews.11/

We hope this helps you make up your mind as to which way you wish to go, but dont ask me I'm biased I love koi you'll need to ask a goldfish owner why they have a love affair with themjust as we have with koi .
Then its down to you .

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum. Good luck on finishing your pond build. Post pics when you can. We love pics. :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Me again... ok, fitted the tapsand slowed the flow a tad so all good there. Bought a couple of baskets of plants and sited them just below the surface, and raised the filter to above the pond level. I've looked up the pump details and I seem to have a fishmate 5000 pump (5500 lph) and a fishmate 10000k filter, seem to be ok considering I bought them and the solid liner on ebay for £150 if I remember correctly. Now running so that I can have the water tested next weekend. I can feel the addiction growing. Pics to follow.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20150525_161801.jpg
Thanks for the info Dave 54, I'll have a look at the books. This is how the pond stands today, I still have to fill around the edges and render/tile the wall to the right. The bare concrete blocks will be bitumen painted to seal them and lose them from view. After that it's down to getting the water right and deciding what fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
zoompond an important question , What size gallon wise is this pond as it may effect the number of koi or even negate koi if its too small. For koi your looking at 1,000 Imprial gallons upwards .
Goldfish however are smaller and thus you can keep a few more and they have some great varieties almost as colourful as koi and in some cases even better than koi
The sooner you know the better your also going to need to know the exact gallonage for when it comes to treating your fish or adding water conditioners etc

Dave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Blimey, that's koi out then, I make ours approx 170-180 gallons as it's two levels are 63" x 48" and 7" deep to the shelf, the lower section is approx 36" x 46 x 12" deep.I suppose goldfish it is then, that'll please the missus.....lol. Probably better as I can have pond plants then... Thanks for the advice.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Look at shubukins, very colorful fish, easy to care for

Ask a Question