New Wakin and unknown

Reaction score
Got some new fish for the pond for fathers day. Got a few Wakins and a fat thing the looks a bit like a fantail. My son saw it and had to have it. I don't see a fantail. Could it be a hybrid? Thanks!

Fatty fish
002-3.jpg

Wakin
003-4.jpg

004-2.jpg

Group shot
008-3.jpg

007-6.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
He looks fine to me and bet he's a mix of some of those fat wiggly butt kind we like to call them. Prolly a throwback or a cross of a Ryukin or a Wakin w/ a comet or regular goldfish?

Reaction score
Thanks j.w.! That's kinda what I figured. The guy I bought him from had quite a few fish he kept together. My son named him Moby Dick.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
that's exactly what it is. Many breeders would actually cull that kind of fish if they are trying to get a certain type to grow. such as wakin. but by using a sarassa or a shubunkin then they can introduce more color in the line. so once in a while one will come out like that. Fat body straight fins. nothings wrong with it if you like them.I've seen a few over the last few years and I have started looking for one mixed in a shipment of wakins or fantails but every one I find seems to have major fin issues. That one has really nice fins just weak on color for my personal taste. But it's a neat fish in its own right.

Reaction score
Thanks! Yeah, I agree they all are a little weak in color, but good looking fish overall. He said some one came right before me and picked the good ones lol. Only time I have been able to find Wakins locally though and they were a good price. Here's to hoping for multi colored babies!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh yes and if you have good hiding places you will definitely have babies, babies and more babies especially if you feed them all the time. You might want to consider feeding them only a couple times a week as it keeps the herd down. I didn't feed mine (only have goldfish, no koi) at all for several yrs in my first pond. They did fine eating bugs, worms and such.........really!
I started feeding them when I built my bigger pond but now I'm cutting back again as the numbers are building.

Reaction score
Feeding goldfish worms is the greatest thing in the world. I can't think of a better show anywhere.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
They do love them and when one has one another one will grab it and run if he can! The whole gang zooming along behind him hoping they can snatch it away also! It's funny when one has one end and another has the other end :razz:

Reaction score
I rarely feed them right now. I have about 5 Goldfish/Comets/Sarasa from Petsmart and these guys. The four new ones I put in wont stop chasing each other around the pond, with Moby Dick doing it the most. I might have babies sooner than I want!

Ask a Question