New water in pond, what to do...

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

A few months ago, all my goldfish died in my 200-gallon pond due to leaving the hose water running in it. I have been cleaning it little by little, put in a filter, gravel, live plants and now the water is crystal clear!! :)...As advice here I have not used any chemicals, only the filter, which has an UV light and white stones in boxes inside...It looks so healthy! I have lots of tadpoles which is nice because I love frogs. A week ago, I finally introduced new goldfish in it (two disappear), but the rest are happy and living harmoniously with the tadpoles. I also have added six Japanese trapdoor snails (also two disappear) now four that I can see. I have followed the advice here to the "T". Thank you so much. Now, I have a new question, I live in Florida, although it has rain, it is hot and sunny, so the water has evaporated. I got a new 5-gallon bucket, filled with hose water is sitting under the sun. As per your advice, I know that I have to let it sit for 24 hours for the chlorine to dissipate, however, "google" says to add chemicals to it, which I am afraid of doing, I have not added any chemicals to the pond and is thriving with the filter and plants...Please advise. Thank you.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is safe to add a dechlorinator provided you follow dosing instructions. I use a dry powder and just throw in a scoop when adding water. Out water is extremely heavy with chlorine

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Be careful with the bucket method chlorine will gas off quickly but the chloramines will not gas off quickly. in Florida 50% of cities use chloramines call your local city and ask what is in your water.

Chloramines brake down in to chlorine and ammonia so a quality dechlorinator will also say it handles both.

Now I am lucky I don't have either but what I would do is use the bucket to mix my dechlorinator per the instructions. Then do testing on the water for chlorine, chloramines and ammonia. Keeping track of how it worked then I would feel good in knowing how to use it safely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I use dechlorinator in my top off water if from the city water supply, or rain water from my rain barrel If I have it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
No danger with a de-chlorinator if you need to use it. It's the one chemical every pond owner will use when it's necessary.

Be careful though with thinking clear water is healthy water. Water can look great to us but still be toxic to fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I believe dechlorinator is to city water, what baking soda is to most rain water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
I’ve added water to my pond right from the hose for 8 years without any problems. Its not a ton of water that I add, my pond is about 2000 gallons and I don’t do it often. Maybe 4 times during the summer months.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Souper09 we do the same thing. I think a lot depends on the size of your pond, the amount of water being added and the quality of your source water. We get ours tested on a regular basis so I am always confident that we haven't had a sudden spike in chlorine and we have no chloramines.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was told it is ok to add city water without dechlorinating as long as it is less than 30% of the total volume.

So a little top off on water level can just be added without dechlorinator.

I understand you are extra cautious because of the prior fish deaths from chlorine!

Since you use a 5 gallon bucket, it would be very easy to add dechlorinator of the correct amount. They often add things good for fish to it such as "Vanish Plus" claims to have ingredients that promote healthy slime coats on fish. You do not have to do it separately in the bucket, you can add the hose water plus the dechlorinator directly to the pond. Pour it into the hose stream so it mixes in.

I agree with you it feels scary to add chemicals. I worry it will stay concentrated and the fish will swim into it. But that has never happened, or at least no fish have seemed sick or different after adding it. With Vanish Plus I pour it in where the waterfall comes in so it mixes as much as possible right away. I only add it if adding a substantial amount of water.

When I add new city water from the hose, I add it where the waterfall comes in so it starts mixing right away.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So a little top off on water level can just be added without dechlorinator.
i think it depends more on the city's water and how much they need to do to make it drinkable. chlorine isn't a problem here, my issue is phosphates that they add to keep pipes from rusting out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
@Souper09 we do the same thing. I think a lot depends on the size of your pond, the amount of water being added and the quality of your source water. We get ours tested on a regular basis so I am always confident that we haven't had a sudden spike in chlorine and we have no chloramines.
I also tested the water coming from the city, no problems to be concerned about. Getting ready for a fall / pre winter clean up. We’re having higher than normal temperatures, feeding the kids fall food to prepare them for colder water.

Ask a Question