New Water

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just let the water sit for a few days without adding any chemicals.
this is only true for chlorine; most modern water supplies now use Chloramine, which can easily be present 30 days later.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just trying to help people along the path to keeping fish.

I am scared to build again it will clearly get out of control at that point even if just a little more. So i'll live through others

Reaction score
We could go on and on about water quality. The bottom line is not what you read on the internet or have heard forever (like chocolate will kill your dog) but what in the real world is true. So I would say if you think that tap water will kill your fish then do whatever you read to make your water perfect. Get a test kit, get test strips, adjust the ph adjust the nitrates and nitrites then go for the ammonia and clorine and while you're at it check for uranium. But the most important thing is to keep your fish from joining schools. If they do then they might learn to read and when that happens they will know that they can't live in the water that they have grown up in for centuries.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, I think I know what you're saying @mgmine ... but chocolate really will kill your dog. It just takes a lot more chocolate than most people think to do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, I think I know what you're saying @mgmine ... but chocolate really will kill your dog. It just takes a lot more chocolate than most people think to do it.
and human injections of chlorine and chloramines WILL hurt your fish, too as that is not the water they've they've been swimming in for centuries.

Ask a Question