New waterfall and stream build

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
If Aquablocks are too pricey, milk crates will do the job. That's what I used, and they've held up well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
  • Expanding foam (standard) and some spray paint to hide it if needed (the black stuff is very pricey here)
  • A bridge :)
  • Loads of lava rock
The last thing I have to get is the structure for the reservoir. Aquablocks are pricey as here so I am thinking 2 plastic pallets, then some cinder block pillars, then 2 more plastic pallets. Could do all of that for like $40 or less. Thoughts?
Spray foam white black or tan all that I have used and I have used at least a dozen brands all seem to fade and loose their color.
I suggest a couple minutes after the foam is applied that you throw sand or rock dust or pea gravel so that they stick to the foam . And you won't need to worry about color.
To save 40 dollars over going with aqua blocks is a no Brainer to me . I'd use the aqua blocks for years of trouble free operation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The disadvantage to milk crates is the only thing
that keeps them from falling apart under weight is that they sit along the edge. There's just a small lip that keeps them from colapsing. There is no center wall. But regardless of which I'd use I also take zip ties along the outside perimeter tying them all together

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Thanks guys. To be clear, I wouldn't be saving $40, the total for the pallets would be $40. Branded aquablocks are pricey here but there are "drainage modules" which are the same thing but don't attract the fishpond premium. I can get these things with the same specs as aquablocks for $45 NZ ($27 US) each

To fill my reservoir I would need to spend a few hundred bucks.

Milk crates here have 2 very low sides so are not ideal I don't think?

1668122576555.png

Another option could just be to fill the reservoir with the pallets (6 of them), zip tie them together and then put any larger rocks on fibre cement panels to distribute their weight a bit?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
aZEK IS ANOTHER PRODUCT TO HELP DISBURSE THE WEIGHT WHILE UNEFFECTED BY WATER. Also once the spacing material is berried be it aquablocks galvanized pipe or milk crates as soil is placed on them the individual weight is spread out per sf in other words a culvert pipe with 6" or gravel over it can support a car but not a truck. but make that a foot or a foot and a half of fill over the culvert and you can surly drive over the culvert with not only a truck but one carrying a load

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I think the six pallets with limited rocks is the safest, cheapest option.

The larger rocks in bog builds are set in an irregular pattern around the square form to help break up the shape.

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Thanks again! I actually have some rubber gym matting which is easy to cut to size so could use that to help disperse the weight on top but yeah will not use a lot of large rocks and the lava rock I have is definitely lighter than most rock.

I'm not sure if the pallets have the same void % as aqua blocks which I think are 95%. Just trying to figure out how many I need/how deep a hole I need to dig to get the right volume if the pallets are in there. I'd guesstimate at least 80%

I saw a youtube video of a boulder being craned on to a plastic pallet as a test and they seemed surprisingly strong!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I saw a youtube video of a boulder being craned on to a plastic pallet as a test and they seemed surprisingly strong!

I've seen a video of some yokel with a purple excavator setting a boulder on milk crates. Also surprisingly strong! Those were American crates though—cubic shape.

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I've seen a video of some yokel with a purple excavator setting a boulder on milk crates. Also surprisingly strong! Those were American crates though—cubic shape.
Yes I've seen that too :) Have you heard of anyone using something like these steel cage pallets? Would turn it upside down and prob put a plastic one on top. I guess concern might be that soil shifting could start pushing the liner in but could put panels down the sides???

1668138210964.png

There are also these cages for storing firewood, etc which can be picked up cheap

1668138555856.png

Definitely got a great void%!

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Wouldn’t use steel for the sharp edges and any rusting/corroding that will occur, if any liner or or overlay gets against it and the ground shifts could easily cut through any protective overlay and liner. also wouldn’t use any type of galvanized steel as it is toxic to fish long term.

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Makes sense! I'll probably go the pallet route me thinks. I'd prefer to use aquablocks or similar as I have a very limited spot to put a reservoir between underwater pipes and the lawn. Using the blocks would allow me to make a more irregular shape if needed whereas with the pallets its a big square or nothing... Will mull it over the weekend and then get something sorted :)

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
So the milk crates here do stack well (alternately) and are strong, I may go that route now lol. Last thing to get...

Given that they don't have flat bottoms, I may cut off the "legs" of the bottom ones, so they sit flat and distribute the weight. Would also need to do the same for the top ones so they don't stick out.

1668643667322.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Could you put the milk crates on their side? I would worry cutting the "legs" off is a lot of work and could leave sharper edges than you have now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agress I'd chop the legs unless you were to pad both under them and under the liner realy realy well.
But after cutting them I'd the use a belt sander and make damn sure there's no rough spots

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Reservoir taking shape, just need to "gather" a few more milk crates. The green bread crates make great bases/tops too, fit on really well and are also surprisingly strong. If I stack the crates in a non alternating way I get more void space and use fewer crates. I will still cut the "legs" off but the bread crate will disperse the weight. Don;t need the reservoir to be quite as high as this and I'll be digging by hand so not keen to dig more clay than I need to! Heaps of void space too!

IMG20221124234153.jpg
IMG20221124234425.jpg

Ask a Question