New waterfall and stream build

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Could you put the milk crates on their side? I would worry cutting the "legs" off is a lot of work and could leave sharper edges than you have now.
I'll check this but they might not be so stable as no interlocking on their side. Could zip tie I guess. I have a reciprocating saw which should make fairly easy work of the legs, will do a trial today see how it all comes out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Creative use of materials. I like it. I think if you cut the legs off the bottom milk crates and place it on a bread crate with a good, heavy underlayment under all of that, you'll be in good shape.

Did you mention what kind of loads you expect to see on this? My only concern would be a large boulder with a point that rests in the middle of the webbing or a large live load from a big person jumping and landing in the center of a crate. The webbing on the crate bottoms even on our small cube ones in the USA are not tremendously strong right at the center without additional support.

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Creative use of materials. I like it. I think if you cut the legs off the bottom milk crates and place it on a bread crate with a good, heavy underlayment under all of that, you'll be in good shape.

Did you mention what kind of loads you expect to see on this? My only concern would be a large boulder with a point that rests in the middle of the webbing or a large live load from a big person jumping and landing in the center of a crate. The webbing on the crate bottoms even on our small cube ones in the USA are not tremendously strong right at the center without additional support.

Thanks! Yeah I am planning on putting 2 layers of geo underneath, then liner then another layer of geo. I also have those interlocking EVA foam mats I could add, maybe on top of all that directly underneath the cage?

In terms of rocks I am using lava rocks (scoria) for larger rocks plus pebbles in the stream bed. The scoria is certainly lighter than most rock and I'm not planning on using anything really big on top of this. I can also put the EVA foam underneath the larger ones which will address any points but I'll try and position them to minimise this anyway. I'm the only big person round here and wont be jumping on it :) I guess I could also put wood blocks in the centres of the creates as a cheap easy way to minimise this, top level anyway?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I would not use wood blocks. If you're having concerns about the center sagging. I would use a large size PVC pipe with thick walls a couple small holes and a few zip ties and you can hold them right in place.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks! Yeah I am planning on putting 2 layers of geo underneath, then liner then another layer of geo. I also have those interlocking EVA foam mats I could add, maybe on top of all that directly underneath the cage?

In terms of rocks I am using lava rocks (scoria) for larger rocks plus pebbles in the stream bed. The scoria is certainly lighter than most rock and I'm not planning on using anything really big on top of this. I can also put the EVA foam underneath the larger ones which will address any points but I'll try and position them to minimise this anyway. I'm the only big person round here and wont be jumping on it :) I guess I could also put wood blocks in the centres of the creates as a cheap easy way to minimise this, top level anyway?
Don't know if I'd use the foam mats not all foam and all plastics are fish safe.
GEO TECH FABRIC IS NOT ALL THE SAME EITHER as most of the fabric you can find locally is usually 4 or 5 oz. it's tear strength is generally very low. though i did get an 8 oz non woven fabric from lowes special order
i understand dyi but id not chinch on the insurance which in this case is the fabric. though if your nothing but silt, clay or sand its only the milk crates them selves you need to be careful with.

one other thing i'd do is to tie the sides together with a zip tie . This is to help make sure the sides don't start to collapse. Aqua blocks have center supports making them much stronger . your missing basically three supports per equal size to an aquablock . but they can be used under a parking lot . somehow i doubt you need that kinda strength.

how big is the falls going to be that can be a tricky area to control the water and its splashing any splashing getting outside can add up a lot quicker then most think.

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have a permeable woven geo fabric which is listed as suitable for:
  • Separation of aggregates in parking, pavements, and roads
  • Low cost temporary or permanent roading for construction vehicles in problem traffic areas
  • Under aggregate to prevent loss of fill into subsoil and allow top cover to remain firm
  • Filter lining for erosion control and stop banks
I will be using a double layer under the liner in the reservoir and another layer on top.. It will be a fishless system so no worries on that front. I think I will use the EVA foam mats for added protection at the bottom of the reservoir. I'll also use them under larger rocks on top.

Been thinking about the reinforcing of the crates. I am planning on the stream emptying into only the far bottom corner of the reservoir, so I only need drainage access there. Therefore I think I could cover most of it with something rigid that's safe to walk on and can better hold rocks and plants. This would extend over the edges of the hole so wouldn't just be weighing down on the crates. Not sure what it would be exactly yet but have considered marine ply or those rigid plastic mats they use to protect turf at festivals so far. Has anyone seen or heard of others doing this?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Has anyone seen or heard of others doing this?
I don't recommend relying on a small drainage area. You'll end up with leaves and debris that clog the area and now your water has no place to go. Or you get a hard rain and the whole thing floods because it can't drain fast enough.

We used landscape fabric on the top of our blocks (this was the recommendation at the time to keep gravel and debris from falling into the blocks) - big mistake. It clogged in a matter of days. You want as much free flowing space as you can manage on top of your reservoir.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Woven is some tuff stuff, but it is designed to spread weight more than it is for penetration's which is usually the goal in building most ponds. We use woven almost everyday building roads and construction sites.

if you have clay soils with no rocks sticks or junk then it will probably be more than enough to do the job

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Thanks all. I'll refrain from using too much impermeable covering on top. As mentioned I will use pads of EVA foam mat under the pressure points of larger rocks on the reservoir and elsewhere.

I would like to have at least some plants on top, what is the best way to do that? Could use planter bags made of geo fabric in between rocks? Only kids would walk on top so no one heavy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Depends what you're planting - some do great right in the rocks; others you will regret for the rest of your life... haha!

I have hosta planted directly into the rocks in our rain exchange - two throw away scraps that I thought "what the heck - let's see what happens". They grew like crazy and look great every year, even in the full sun of August.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
i would consider a few thoughts- this build is massive and will be with your house for years. Consider doing the mesh coverage- little ones grow up faster than you think. If the fond component has a mesh cover for a few years you will be able to remove it.

For pondkess the biggest concerns I’d voice is monitoring water levels. If you have leaks or problems, you don’t want your system to have problems if you don’t act fast. Hidden reservoirs are great for water but not monitoring.

That said: Leaves suck- consider a pool skimmer (cheap) to catch leaves. I used a 7 gallon bucket and uniseal to pipe the water into a pump box, that way skimmer will catch leaves.

But “water source” is to me pretty obvious. Much cheaper and lower maintenance than a commercial system. It fits your o pond rule. It adds to the landscaping.

I would have a gravel bog at the top of the stream that waterfall comes out of. I wouldn’t worry about flow rates at all. Flow your stream the plants will adapt (the ones that do outgrow those that dont) and it will provide filtration. Suboptimal filtration is still filtration.

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Works have begun! Thick wet clay so thats fun although you can just carve off big chunks at a time but then need to chop it up if you want to use it for something else... Have also started building the hill for the falls which you can see in the background.. Have been stamping and tamping it down as I go and it will rain tomorrow which will help....

IMG20221204155743.jpg

Have met a few roots but nothing too bad.. Has anyone ever used fiber cement boards or acrylic sheets or similar to wall/floor a reservoir and prevent root ingress or is geofabric enough?

Regarding a skimmer, what type would you suggest? Also, do I need a gravel bog if I'm not having any fish? I don't get a lot of leaves falling in that area but do get a few here and there. No deciduous trees left in my garden :)

For water level checking and as a pump vault I'm planning on using the 30 gallon heavy duty bin you can see in the picture... I haven't dug the pit for it yet but it it will sit on the edge of the main pit. It has a standard lid but considering using something else like a manhole cover or large grate supported by the surrounding ground for it as safer and more solid.. Something with a hatch would be ideal for easy checking. any suggestions?

Ask a Question