New Waterlily with Leeches?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Recieved a new waterlily in the mail today and in the bag and on the lily where these leech like worms. They definitately can attach with one part of their body and seem to use the other for swimming. Anyone know what these are and if they are an issue for the pond? Any other waterlily pests I should be looking for? Can I use some sort of "dip" with new plants to kill any unwanted pests? I always do this with my coral's but didnt expect this to be an issue with water plants.

5A81284C-AC69-4120-BBEE-BF617E09587F.jpeg

CB8C09D3-FFD6-4D78-9E79-3ECEFE2D54A8.jpeg
2A6640C3-D2FA-4C01-AC64-AA46AEE9D1E1.jpeg

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Potassium permanganate……? I know I’ve heard of that used on new plants. Have no idea how it would effect…..leeches….yech!

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Potassium permanganate……? I know I’ve heard of that used on new plants. Have no idea how it would effect…..leeches….yech!
Something like that might work. Not knowing what type of leech they are I dont want them in the pond. Still trying to figure out what to do with tuber in the meantime. Might just pot it and stick it in a bucket to let it grow out and watch it closely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most likely plant leeches. If so, they are not harmful to fish or people.

Lots of ways to treat the plants. You can use a bleach solution, 20-1, but only for 10 or so minutes. I left some of my plants in too long and killed them all.

You can use a strong dose of potassium permanganate as Mmathis said,. It works for most things, but I think it doesn't kill leeches.

Alum will kill leeches, 1 tablespoon per 100 gallons.

If you choose to do any of those things, please don't add those things to the pond. Disinfect the plant in another container so you don't kill your beneficial bacteria and possibly risk your fish as well.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's what I understand. Could always be wrong though, of course.

Most leeches don't even suck blood, but those are the ones we always think of. Most of the ones in a pond eat sludge and decaying organic matter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
walks like a duck .

its a pond, leaches wont hurt anyone. put a steak in the water with the plants and they will find it

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Most likely plant leeches. If so, they are not harmful to fish or people.

Lots of ways to treat the plants. You can use a bleach solution, 20-1, but only for 10 or so minutes. I left some of my plants in too long and killed them all.

You can use a strong dose of potassium permanganate as Mmathis said,. It works for most things, but I think it doesn't kill leeches.

Alum will kill leeches, 1 tablespoon per 100 gallons.

If you choose to do any of those things, please don't add those things to the pond. Disinfect the plant in another container so you don't kill your beneficial bacteria and possibly risk your fish as well.

Good luck.
Thanks for the tip. I will probably just use some Alum to be safe. Much less worried about this now than I was.

Ask a Question