newbee. Need a recomendation on type of filter

Reaction score
Wanted a formal pond with maybe some small fish. Contractors were not experienced with garden ponds and built one without any consideration for plant/animal life. Water intakes were place right under the water fall (no circulation) attached to 1 1/2 hp pump without a filter. ( I guess they thought I would just use chemicals to keep the water clear) Now I want to add a filter and re-route the intakes (maybe attach them to a filter). I also just bought a sail sun shade (12' by 12') to help control the algae. Pea soup. The pond is around 750 gallons.

Question: Is there a filter that I can just attach a hose to the intakes near the waterfall. The intakes are 1 1/2 inches and are flush to the bottom. Or do I have to get a pressurized filter and install it by my pump which is about 20 yards from the pond? Any other suggestions would be great.

Also, I might be able to get a power outlet near the the pond.
btw. will the sun shade greatly affect plant life? I have 2 water lilies.

Thanks guys.

Please see album for some pics.

Reaction score
Hi nanya. Please take the time to research our site, as there are is a wealth of info on filtration.

Visit the DIY section and you will see a good number of filters that are stickied to the top with building plans. :et us know if you prefer to buy something off the shelf instead of DIY'ing one.

Reaction score
There are many types of filter that can be gravity fed. Usually, it's best to separate mechanical and biological filtration. The mechanical filter is often between the pond and the pump, and the biological filter is often between the pump and the waterfall, but there are endless variations.

Here are some search terms you might find interesting. Combine with words like "pond", "koi", and "filter" if you're searching the general web.
"skippy"
"moving bed"
"pot scrubbers"
"sieve"
"settlement chamber"
"vortex"
"anoxic"
"veggie" "bog"

These are usually not gravity fed, but you may want to read about them anyway.
"sand and gravel"
"shower"
"trickle filter" "trickle tower
"retro bottom drain"

Ask a Question