Newbie - Aquamax 8000 Impeller Destroyed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope someone can advise!

I moved in to our house about 5 years ago which had a pond, but it has never been clear.
I used to do basic upkeep, nothing more.

Went on holiday for three weeks and when I returned pump had stopped working.

During my investigation I noticed the filter wasn't plugged in - plugged it in and it tripped the mains.

So - have decided to give the pond a complete overhaul.

I have a Filtoclear 11000 which I have purchased new filter, ballast, lamp and mesh - I am hoping this will fix my filter problems!

I have a Aquamax Eco 8000 - just stripped it down, impeller is destroyed and would not turn.

Questions:

1. Having removed the impeller from the transformer (checked fuse and wiring), when plugging in the motor/transformer, should this make some noise/hum to indicate it is working (out of the water)? I don't want to buy a new impeller if the motor has ceased - although I'm not sure how likely this is. I plug JUST the motor in with nothing else and there is NO noise at all - does it need to be in the assembled and in the water to test?

2. Is the motor the same for all models of the old style Aquamax as I could get a secondhand (any model), and replace the motor with a working one?

3. If the pump is not repairable, what pump would be a good replacement, and will the pipework/hoses fit from the Filtoclear - are they standard, or do Oase use their own sizes?

4. Finally, I was in a pond shop and they said the Aquamax 8500 was a direct replacement, but this only has one outlet/opening, whereas my one has two?!?

Thanks in advance!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Mag-drive pumps do not have what is considered a conventional motor. It is a series of electromagnets that by changing polarity cause the impeller to spin.
Have you checked to determine if there is any heavy scoring on the surface of the magnets. If not then you can just replace the impeller. Most all manufacturers offer replacement impellers for their mag-drive pumps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply.

The magnets around the impeller have quite literally exploded, and the impeller was jammed in the motor.

Looking in to the well of the motor, there is some circular scoring where the 'motor' was obviously still managing to spin an exploded impeller and this was scoring the inside of the motor as it spun.

Eventually the impeller broke apart too much completely jamming it - but I guess then this wouldn't have affected the motor as the motor would just keep doing its job regardless if anything was spinning.

Is there anyway the motor could have burned out due to the impeller breaking apart? Otherwise quite unfortunate to have both fail independently of each other?

Is there any test I can do to see if the motor is still functional without buying an impeller?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-8-23_7-40-28.gif
@trockbox
I just went through that w/my magdriven pump recently and had to replace it. I got a Laguna and love it. Uses much less power than my old mag one. Had that mag for prolly 15yrs or more.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks both.

Will all the hoses fit straight on whatever alternative (no Oase), pump I Get?

Ask a Question