Newbie asking advice

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've just found this site and wondered if you can help. We've recently moved house and have inherited a large pond complete with loads of goldfish. The water is very green and occasionally we find the odd dead fish. There is no equipment fitted so what do we need to do to clear the water and make it a nice place for the fish? We are complete novices so be gentle.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you have no pump, no filter, no fountain, or anything at all? even in the garage, basement, or shed? if not you are gonna need to spend some money. tell us how big the pond is,about how many fish, and what equipment you do have if any.

Reaction score
That's right, nothing is there at all. I don't know how long the pond has been there, but I would guess it's been quite a while.
We only noticed there were fish in it a couple of weeks ago so were a bit surprised to say the least. The water is so murky I didn't expect anything to be in there, but there are loads!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
well, the green water is probably an algea bloom, and fairly common in spring weather. but youve got some work to do,and some money to spend. how big is your pond? its size is going to determine your pump size your filter or filters size. is it too much to do a partial water change? we need details, to help you out more effectively; where are you located,l whats your weather doing, and whats it done in the last couple weeks, are you in spring or still winter like me?PLEASE GIVE ALL THE INFO YOU CAN.

Reaction score
I'm in West Sussex, England. The weather is still cold but no frost or snow in our part of the country. We're heading for the spring hopefully! Over the last couple of weeks it's been dry, and the temperature has ranged between 4c -13c.
I don't know how big the pond is, but will do a rough calculation tomorrow.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
O.K if you could venture a guess on how deep it is that would help also. we'll have to try converting that us measurements. we arent metric here.

Ask a Question