Newbie AZ Pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We got our pond up and running this past March/April. We are in South East Arizona. Region 8 right? Since it will be our first winter there are some questions we have. I have read that plants should come inside or to a warmer setup. We have 4 large fish from what I have read will be ok in the pond. Just have to cut back feeding etc. Now we also have about 12-15 babies also. I think they should come in for the winter since they are little. Anywhere from 1 to abut 3 inches in size. What are the recommendations from all of you? And what other tips do you have. The pond is 3 feet deep about 300 gallons.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pond in phoenix, I never pulled plants or fish. Never turned off the pump or water fall. If the water dropped below 55 I would quit feeding, but ow left it just like it was all summer, running.

I don't think yours will be any danger of freezing up with ice which is what is hard on the fish.

Plants, it depends on what you have and are trying to save. Most there should be fine staying outside.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
like addy, I think you dont have to worry about freezing there so you can just leave everything as is.
Just a note though, next year you probably will need to relocate some of your babies as 12-15 babies will grow to be big and hard on your 300 gallons pond. OR you could start building more bio filter to be able to handle the load ;)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I'd leave them outside. We are in zone 7 and they all manage quite nicely out there all year. Have you got the itch yet to make your pond bigger...............if not you will soon :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks for the advice. What plants we have left (fish have eaten most) will stay then. I have gotten the itch to make a bigger pond next year. Planning on somewhere from 2000-3000 gallons in my backyard. Working on all the details now. Pump size making a biofilter, design, $$ etc. Gonna be a long winter waiting for spring to start the digging!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aww dig in the winter! a lot more enjoyable then. The summers are brutal.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You can dig for free now in the cool so get digging and pay the $$$ later. Your winter temps are my Summers! We are here for you if you need any help and have any questions and just reading here and seeing how we all did our thing will help you lots too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Thanks for all the help and advice. I thought about starting the dig now while it is cool. I'm still in the planning stage even though I can see what it looks like in my head. I have the size and shape all figured out, still looking at pumps, making a filter, drains etc. Now on a side not when it comes to pumping the water to the filters how much does distance play a role? I want to go 3 feet deep with a bottom drain external pump and 55 gallon bio filter. I have a small section by my house that I can put the barrels so they are out of sight. The only concern I have this will put them abut 25 feet away from the pond. Will this be too far and make the pump(s) work too hard? I also considered digging them down and hiding behind the pond so they are closer. Which would save time and $$ digging and running the pipe so I would only have to run the power.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome.it sounds like you have got hooked on ponding already! I get about a dozen babies every year or so in the Chicago area. The vast majority make it through the winter fine and the temps here obviously get much colder than Arizona. My pond is about 4 ft - 4.5 ft deep. If your pond is deep enough the water temperature won't fluctuate as much as the air temps do.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reaction score
Start your dig then read all winter everything your eyes can gather here!!! In the spring you can make the changes to the original dig and be well informed. There are always things one wishes they would have done differently. Not always big changes just little adjustments in layout and flow or size!!!!

Reaction score
I just bought a house in Arizona about 40 miles north of Phoenix. It has a pond that I figure is about 1000 gallons. I am new to pond keeping. The fish are doing great but so is the algae. I added a biofilter and an 18 watt UVC light. I also added a large (about 13 inch) Plecostomus in hopes of keeping ahead of the algae. My question is, should I be concerned about the Pleco in the winter? I am thinking of getting a pond heater for the winters, but then how many watts should the heater be at a minimum?

Ask a Question