Newbie Best Filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi guys ,

I am new to the forum and looking for advice.

I have a medium sized goldfish pond and I'm looking for advice on what filter / water pump works best but also affordable . So far I've added 2 air stones and plants such as hornworts to help clean up the water for the fishies.

I've been looking at the submersible flat box filter by tetra and different pumps.

All help is welcome thanks.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1587069600130.gif
@Milezrama
I like Laguna pumps for the lowest power consumption and they work good for me.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Post a picture of your pond when you can. Visual helps a lot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
It's great that you are using plants to help with filtration. The more plants, the better.

That flat box filter by Tetra most likely will not be adequate. In my opinion it's too small. I have one of those laying around somewhere. There are many commercial and homemade filters out there. Then there's the bog filters that some of us swear by.

Personally, I'm tired of rinsing filter pads, backwashing filters etc. That's why I'm building a bog filter for my 1600 gallon pond. I wish I hadn't spent the money on inadequate high maintenance commercial filters over the years.

Some people build filters out of drums or stock tanks and they work good. Search around the forum, there's plenty of homemade builds. One simple idea is you can put a small pump in a bucket. Add a pipe to the outlet of the pump long enough to reach just below the water surface, then cover it with lava rock. The water will shoot up like a fountain. Tie the bucket handle to the pipe and submerge it in the pond. When you want to pull it out to clean it, stick a pole through the handle and lift it out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I bought laguna pumps and have not had a problem with plus they use a lot less electricity than some .For a filter I just bought a stock tank and lava rock and a tank adapter ,much cheaper and it works great .I can put plants in my stock tanks which really help clean the pond water
100_6647.JPG
100_5321 (1).JPG

Attachments

• 100_5431.JPG
    100_5431.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 86

Ask a Question