Newbie, but oldbie. Filtration

Reaction score
Well, I'm an "oldbie", with some four years living the pond life. It's been going well, I inherited a 11000 litre (3000 gal) pond with a large koi fish stock. We lost s good few over the winter due to oxygen starvation when the ice and snow came. But hey, we live and learn. Must keep pond oxygenated during the winter!

My current problem is algae. I'm sure if has something to do with the fact my uv transformer got moisture in it and has failed. So no uv light. My filter box is a Fishmate 30w thing, more than capable for the job. Trouble is that they'e pretty rare now and accessories are scarce. I can't find a new transformer for it anywhere. So I have two options.

First I could get an exact replacement, perhaps use the same filter media for a while. This is probably the cheapest option. These filter boxes are only about £150 all In.

The other option is to go for something else entirely. Those trinamic filters look nice.

Can anyone suggest anything? Meanwhile I'm hoping that some greenaway will get rid of my surface algae in the short term!

Thanks for any coments.

MrP.

Reaction score
Hi Mr P...I also have a 3000 gallon pond, i'm a big hozelock fan as i think they are the best value for money out there, i have 2 eco-max filters with built in uv's and a trinamic, which i use a saturn booster with and an extra 2 vorton 1400 uv's, these are run with 2 titan pumps, (gardens4less are the cheapest), i have built a pergola over my pond and the water is gin clear, i did slow down on the feeding during this last warm weather, i try not to use these treatments for green water as in my opinion they are only short term and are a waste of money, hope you soon get your pond how you want it.

Mick

Ask a Question