Newbie - Can I build a "Cave" for fish?

Reaction score
Hi all - New to forum - lots of questions - here's the first..

I wanted to build a small cave for my fish (when I get them!) as I have lots of critters in the yard (ie racoons) also dog, cats, squirrels, etc.

Purpose so they can hide out...

I was thinking a sideways terra cotta pot? I was understanding you can't use pavers etc or anything made of concrete, is this true? What about plastic pipe...ugly...but is it safe?

Also I have rocks in my pond, which I read is not good, but they are big rocks (8" round) just to anchor the plants from the critters who are exploring the shelf area. Is this okay?

Any other ideas for a "cave"? No fish yet, just trying to get prepared...pond is about 250 gallons with a 200 gph pump and fountain at water level and will have 5 goldfish...It is 20 inches deep, shelves are about 12 inches deep.

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
The dilemma with this is that koi are very fast swimming fish and when spooked can dart into things. So, you really shouldn't have anything in the pond where a fish can hurt itself.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have a rock cave in both of my ponds
Both my caves are like a stone bench..2 strong sides and a large cap rock
My Koi like them

Reaction score
Thanks, I went with the 4" pipe, with a "T" on the end so it doesn't roll, but it floats! I weighed it down with some rocks...I will also put in a rock cave when I find some suitable (free!) rocks...

Thanks all for the responses...getting the goldfish on Monday, very excited! I think I will go for shubunkins or fish that are more black and whitish for camoflague purposes, maybe the bright gold shouts out "here I am!":biggrin:

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Newbie, I agree with Nigil, Hap, and Steph. Just keep it simple. A piece of old PVC pipe about 6" diameter and about a foot long will do for the smaller koi. I had one about that size for shubunkin's until they stopped using it. Then I took it out of the pond.

Happy ponding, :coffeemug::glassesy:

Ask a Question