newbie,first post

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wonderful forum,have had small ponds in the past but now need help with larger pond.
We live in Sedona,az,our local wine/beer/restaurant has a large pond,guessing 800 gal,the owners have done nothing but add water as needed.No fish,no plants but the water is a dark green.The water fall shows the water is clear but the main pond is very green.The owners would like to put plants and fish in the pond.I used a dip stick to see how the water was.
ph-above 9,gh 180,kh above 240,no2 0.5 and no3 20.
So the question is,should I shock the crap out of it to kill everything,drain the pond,clean everything and start from scratch?
the pump/filter is just a 12in by 6 in membrane with the water flowing thru it,
They just want the water to be clear and put some plants,basic fish in it so the customers can view.
I have pics,i do not know if I can upload them,any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Welcome!
Drain it, clean it, add a proper filter system, let the pond cycle, add the fish and plants.
For adding pictures to your post, get the pictures on your computer desktop and drag them into the text box next time you post a reply.
(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
welcome! do u have uvfilter? u might want to clean pond bottom and filters , dont scrub alot then add new water and plants let it run for some time then add fishes and give it time .
u might need to add some mechanical and bio media to filter and may need to increase its size im guessing havent seen ur setup .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

You could drain it, don't strip clean it, the biofilm on the liner, or cement or what ever it is, will help the new water cycle. Draining might be a good option, there might be a lot of muck on the bottom (old leaves, branches etc). Just don't strip clean it.

Or you can start with where it is at, add some filtration, get that going, add some plants, lilies, marginal, etc, the pond needs something to eat up the nutrients in the water.

Test the water going into the pond, is your city water high ph? ours is very low ph.

I lived in Arizona for years, went to college in Flagstaff, then to Phoenix to work. Love Sedona, it is so pretty!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To load pictures you can drag and drop, or click upload a file and select the picture(s) you want to upload.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and plants first as they will also help clean the pond and a good filtration system will help greatly .Is the pond in sun and do you know the temperature of the pond water right now .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow such good responses!
Will try to load pics,
20170613_193936_HDR-001.jpg

FILTER PIC
20170614_161849_HDR-001.jpg

tHANKS FOR THE RESPONSES,IN ANSWER TO TYPE OF POND IT IS CEMENT,WOULD A BOG TYPE FILTER WORK ON THE UPPER WATERFALL AREA? MY SMALL POND HAS ONE IT WORKS GREAT.
thankS AND STAY COOL!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Actually, I think the filter/skimmer setup you have there might do the job once cleaned up.
What is not known is how much detritus is sitting on the bottom of the pond.
If it was my pond, I would probably just increase water circulation throughout the main area of the pond and keep cleaning the filter regularly until the system was cleaned up.

Seeing how it is a business and there are no fish at present, I think the quickest route is to drain, clean and start over.
I can't help you with plant suggestions though. You're just slightly out of my climate zone.;)
Perhaps others can give you some plant suggestions.

I like the pond!

Please tell us what the current water pump is rated for in gph.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Actually, I think the filter/skimmer setup you have there might do the job once cleaned up.
What is not known is how much detritus is sitting on the bottom of the pond.
If it was my pond, I would probably just increase water circulation throughout the main area of the pond and keep cleaning the filter regularly until the system was cleaned up.

Seeing how it is a business and there are no fish at present, I think the quickest route is to drain, clean and start over.
I can't help you with plant suggestions though. You're just slightly out of my climate zone.;)
Perhaps others can give you some plant suggestions.

I like the pond!

Please tell us what the current water pump is rated for in gph.

Reaction score
Country
United States
ok WILL TALK TO THE OWNERS AND FOR A "FEE" IE WINE WILL RECOMMEND TO DRAIN THE POND,CLEAN OUT THE BOTTOM,CLEAN THE FILTER AND REFILL AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS?AWESOME SITE BY THE WAY!

Ask a Question