Newbie from Hocking Hills, Ohio

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am a new member and have had my "mud-pond" for two Winters now.

I wish I could have the beautiful clear ponds that allot of you have, but unfortunately, I do not.

I decided to join this forum to chat with the experienced Koi pond owners.

Night temps are currently in the mid to low 20's. I checked my thermometer yesterday and it was around 42.

I can't wait for my Koi to wake up from their Winter nap.

So far, I have only lost one of my Koi. It looked like it had a few ulcerations on it's body. So....I'm going to purchase some medicated food to start them on once the water temp reached 50 degrees or more. Do you have any suggestions as to the type of food I should use?

Thanks!

Cynthia

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomewagon-15.gif
Cynthia

The koi keepers will chime in to help you out. Glad you joined

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum and hope you get the info you need .We have a lot of mud ponds around here and they always look like chocolate milk after a heavy rain .I guess most get to much wash off

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
welcome to the group cindy...
i have used MICROBELIFT antibacterial food in the past. havent used any others, so cant comment. on them. there are those who recommend feeding antibacterial food every spring to help give the fish a healthy start for the season. i dont know if i agree with that. i would rather save "meds" for when theyre really needed

Reaction score
I was told by the owner of "mud pond koi" in Wash. St. that my koi pond will always look like chocolate milk as long as the koi are awake and digging around the pond. The upside.....they are growing extremely fast and are healthy and active. Had an accident yesterday and almost was pulled under the water in my chest waders. Very scary.

Reaction score
Trying to pick up skimmer and lost my grip. Fell backwards and both feet were stuck in the mud. Just happy I had a guardian angel.
Thanks Addy1!

Ask a Question