Newbie from Indiana

Reaction score
Hello everyone....My name is Patrick, from central Indiana. We've got a 10'x12'x40" pond w/koi, goldfish, and shubunkins. we've had our pond for roughly 6 yrs, with us redigging it 3 yrs ago do to the liner cracking. Starting out w/5 fish, we have grown to 14 or so. We stumbled upon this forum while looking up how to do a DIY biofilter. love all the info we have found so far. Planning on moving this summer and doing a pond at the new place. Is there any other options to a liner other then a liner? I know we could do concrete but that would probably end up cracking.

IMG_8743.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome10.gif
Patrick
Gosh most of us here have liners. Wonder why yours cracked? You are talking about a rubber liner right? I've had my liner for several yrs and no problems. Was the part that cracked above the water line? You can make it so none of it is above the water line if that was the case. Tell us where it cracked. Nice looking fish you have there. I just have goldies and shubunkins,no koi.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and besides concrete would be natural pond and that can be hard to do .Liner is the way to go . :razz: We are a group of pond nuts .Haro is a rock nut and thinks he is me :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Reaction score
where my liner cracked was where I had a small stream connecting the upper pond to the lower of our original pond. so I don't know if a dog or something stepped on it during the winter (that's when we noticed it). I'll probably go back w/liner in the new pond, but was just curious if there was any other ideas out there. Thanks for the warm welcome too. Like what I'm seeing on this site so far. Plenty of good ideas

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
surprised the liner would crack .I left a piece of 45 mil out side in the stock tank that i emptied and some water got in there with the piece and froze and I pulled it out and ice broke and liner did not even get damaged .I pulled hard and even smashed the ice off with a hammer with no harm to it .

Reaction score
Hi and Welcome!

Was the liner that cracked PVC or EPDM? I could imagine old and brittle PVC cracking, but not so much EPDM. It goes on roofs for gosh sakes and last I checked roofs up north get freezing temps.

I can say, that watching folks just lolly-goggy step right into a bog, I will be lining our next (shallow) bog with good and thick old carpet.

Ask a Question