Newbie from North Carolina

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, glad to be a part of this forum. I'm a first time home owner for about a year. The previous owner has a nice small pond in the back yard that i've inherited. I look forward to learning how to perform the right maintenance, upkeep and hopefully eventually adding on to the pond once i know what i'm doing. Therefore, i look forward to chatting with you guys on here and learn from you all. Here's a little info about that pond:

I calculate it to be about 1,100 gallon. It has a Savio compact skimmer filter, 4900GHP Easypro Pond Pump. In the pond there's 2 comet koi fish (i think they are comet). A couple of plants include water lilies, salvias, cleome around the pond, with some accented hosta. I actually don't know a lot of the plant life in there, but hopefully you guys can help me identify once i post up some pics.

I will post a few pictures once our moderators approve it. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC_00050.jpg
    DSC_00050.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 278

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group! not sure why they needed approval, but now approved.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome!

I see a nice clump of irises there in the front, the flowering plant appears to be obedient plant (which is definitely NOT obedient!) and the one with the tall purple flowers on stalks is a type of canna called "thalia dealbata". The purple flowering plant is a salvia. And I think the orange one might be butterfly weed.

It's a lovely pond! You "inherited" a really nice, well cared for garden.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and have to agree nice gardens and pond .You may have to thin out the plants in the pond but not seeing any thing else .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome!

I see a nice clump of irises there in the front, the flowering plant appears to be obedient plant (which is definitely NOT obedient!) and the one with the tall purple flowers on stalks is a type of canna called "thalia dealbata". The purple flowering plant is a salvia. And I think the orange one might be butterfly weed.

Hi Lisa, you are awesome. Thanks for taking the time to ID the plants for me.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Are the plants at the edge of the walk liriope .Silver white one at the bottom of pic looks like lambs ear if the leaves are soft and fuzzy .I planted lambs ear with dusty miller for a silver white garden .How far into NC as i live about 15 minutes from the border and go to Reidsville and Eden NC a lot

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Sissy. I believe the plants at the edge of the walk is indeed liriope. The other plant is lambs ear with the soft and fuzzy leaves, which is embedded between the mondo grass. I live in Kernersville so not too far from Reidsville actually. We're neighbor then.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome!

Thalia Dealbata : i'm glad to you told me the name of that plant. Thanks
DSC_0040.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I was in Kernersville 2 weeks ago .My sister and i took a trip there to snoop around to see what was there .I also went to that huge car dealer ship there .There is a koi farm in Eden NC and they sell all kinds of baby fish .I bought all of mine there .They sell some pond plants also .They sell a lot of plants to commercial places

Attachments

• peewee and nursery 039.JPG
    peewee and nursery 039.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 234
  • peewee and nursery 042.JPG
    peewee and nursery 042.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 229
  • peewee and nursery 046.JPG
    peewee and nursery 046.JPG
    305.7 KB · Views: 292
  • peewee and nursery 045.JPG
    peewee and nursery 045.JPG
    311 KB · Views: 247
  • peewee and nursery 048.JPG
    peewee and nursery 048.JPG
    349.3 KB · Views: 258
Reaction score
Country
United States
oh how cool. thanks for sharing those pictures. I need to check Eden out sometimes. I just stop by a new pond shop right next to the Farmer's Market on I40 near Greensboro by the name of Living Waterscape. I will have to take some pics of their set up to share with u guys

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am headed down to greensboro next week .There is a flea market in Eden .I will have to put living waterscapes on my list of finds down there .The place in eden does not have much this time of year

Ask a Question