Newbie from Ontario Canada

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

I'm new here and I'm a 54 year old lady from Ontario , Canada and my parents and I have a small backyard pond with 350 gallons of water in it and one water Lily and some feeder goldfish. I try to maintain the pond with my dad and feed the fish. We just love the pond as my dad built it himself with rocks around the base with a black liner. We have a pump and he has a pipe through the back rock wall for the pipe to go through for the fountain.

Its so nice to be here and I hope I can get some advise for our pond when I have problems about it and learn more about the care of the pond, pump, filter, plants and fish to keep it a healthy environment so we can enjoy it through the summer.

Take care,

Anne

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I'll add some photos of the pond and I am having algae and green water issues right now and just got a new product to try for this problem but having difficulty calculator how much treatment to add to the pond to clean and fix it so the water clears up.

Anne

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome to our crazy group of pond nuts .You will fit in real good .You don't mention a filter and a uv will help greatly for green water ,do not use chemicals no matter what the say

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome. And as Sissy says, stay away from the chemicals to control the algae. Every Spring I have a two week period where I get green water and then it clears on its own. Pictures are from June 8 and June 11.
Suspended algae (green water) feed on ammonia so it is a good thing.
Comparison inside 2016 June 8 and 11.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Wow, that's so nice of all of you welcoming me to this lovely and friendly forum. Thanks for the advice. I'll take some photos tomorrow of our pond so you can see what it looks like.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My dad only has a pump running in the pond with one water lily plant and a pipe going out to make a waterfall spout and that's it. Is that okay to help clean the pond from the algae. We lost 2 goldfish feeder fish as we put 12 in early this month of June. I was searching for something to destroy the algae and clear the pond and we bought the D-Solv oxy pond cleaner and I put 1 ounce in our pond yesterday and diluted it with some pond water before putting it in the pond. You do it once a week. It says on the label 1 ounce of the cleaner with 600 gallons of water. We have 350 gallons as it says that if the problem is bad to double the dosage. Does my dad have the right idea with only the pump running and no filter system as he feels that we don't need it and he won't listen to me as I've had aquariums in the house with pumps and filters.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It needs a filter to clean the water or the fish will not survive very long .I have sen people kill the fish they have with that stuff .Ammonia will build up in the pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome Anne!

I can't find an MSDS sheet on the D-Solv Oxy Pond Cleaner but from reading about it I think it might be sodium percabonate which is safe to use in your pond. It's a compound that breaks down into hydrogen peroxide and soda ash when it comes in contact with water. It will effectively kill algae on waterfalls and rocks, but remember that algae is only a symptom. It's telling you something about your pond - in this case, you have too many nutrients - and it's actually providing a useful role to help keep your pond safe for your fish by consuming those excess nutrients. Also, remember by killing the algae you are simply adding MORE nutrients to the pond in the form of dead algae. It is much better to correct the cause of the algae and let the pond clear on it's own.

The things that you can control are how often and how much you feed your fish and the amount of filtration in your pond. Pond plants are part of the filtration in a garden pond. It sounds like you have one plant now - adding more would definitely help. You can also feed the fish less or not at all until the algae clears. The fish won't starve - in fact they will provide assistance by eating the algae and help clean their own space!

As for more filtration - it would definitely help, but it's not a necessity on a pond with just goldfish. Mechanical filtration helps remove solid debris from the pond but if you don't have a lot of leaves and debris that fall in the pond that may not be an issue. You could also consider a "bog" filter, which is a container filled with gravel and plants that the water is pumped through to provide bio-filtration. There are lots of good threads here that discuss bog filters in detail if you are interested!

Seeing a few photos of your pond will definitely help. You'll find lots of helpful, knowledgeable pond folks here!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Sissy, tell that to my dad as he won't listen to what I say as I've been telling him to add a filter since he built this pond. I had fish aquariums and always had a pump and filter and the water was always clean. I had the goldfish from the pond in it in our basement to save the fish as we get very cold winters here in Ontario , Canada. OH, also HAPPY 150 TO ALL THE FELLOW CANADIANS IN HERE TO OUR LOVELY AND BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY , CANADA.:):):):):):):):kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

Ask a Question