Newbie from Pennsylvania, USA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello!
I'm brand new to ponds! I just got my first used preformed pond with a waterfall. I'm digging the hole in my garden. (Already planning a bigger one for next year )
I am not sure how to figure out the gallons but it's not super huge.

Attachments

• 16573151971683133151668467451600.jpg
    16573151971683133151668467451600.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
To be perfectly honest an I am a builder . The preforms are more work than is rubber. Different type of work but rewards far out weigh the other.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I can't wait to see it next year when I have all the plants and stuff growing
Yep, mine has definitely matured over the years with plants and moss that I added and a lot that just grew naturally.

A lot of the rocks around the pond are now hidden by vegetation.

I just let it all grow as it pleases, even "weeds".
Some of those "weeds" have nice flowers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
You can stick Creeping Jenny, Parrot's Feather or many other spreading plants in between the rocks. As they grow they will eventually hide the container edges and grow over and into the pond. If you plant Creeping Jenny in the soil they will winter over and keep spreading. I have found they will mostly die off if just left in a pot sitting on the ground or rocks.

I enjoy winter hardy plants since they come back every year.
My Marsh Marigold has gotten huge over the years and it seeds itself all over the place. Its almost invasive. I have separate plants in the pond and bog that seemed to have grown out of nowhere. I guess seeds are being distributed naturally. It's a beautiful plant that blooms yellow flowers in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You can stick Creeping Jenny, Parrot's Feather or many other spreading plants in between the rocks. As they grow they will eventually hide the container edges and grow over and into the pond. If you plant Creeping Jenny in the soil they will winter over and keep spreading. I have found they will mostly die off if just left in a pot sitting on the ground or rocks.

I enjoy winter hardy plants since they come back every year.
My Marsh Marigold has gotten huge over the years and it seeds itself all over the place. Its almost invasive. I have separate plants in the pond and bog that seemed to have grown out of nowhere. I guess seeds are being distributed naturally. It's a beautiful plant that blooms yellow flowers in the spring.
I definitely want some creeping Jenny. The only local nursery that carries it only has it in the spring. Marsh marigold looks pretty too. I want a water hyacinth too.

Ask a Question