Newbie hello

Reaction score
When we moved to the mountains west of Asheville NC we bought a house with a small Koi pond, it was beautiful but we had no idea how to maintain it. Have learned a lot but still learning. First question, the pond wasmbuiltmwithout a skimmer, is it possible to add one without rebuilding the pond? Thanks

Reaction score
I built my pond without a skimmer and am adding one right now. I'm just going to position it near the edge inside the pond, if it doesn't float right where I want it I'll position it with rope. Then the pump will be on the bottom of the pond and I'll probably either let it just blow water across the bottom or I'll put a hose on it and pump the water all the way over to the far side. I don't anticipate any issues with this set up, and depending on your pond set up you can probably do the same thing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Ahhh welcome I have been to Ashville NC to visit the Biltmore Mansion and gardens and loved it .Was only going for 2 days and ended staying 4 days as there was just to much to see .I have no skimmer no leaves or floating matter and to chicken to cut the liner .You can get an in the pond skimmer .

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Is it a liner pond? do ou know if there is any extra liner buried around the edges? you can make you own skimmer easily if there is.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
welcome-3.gif
WNCRalph

Reaction score
The skimmer I ordered just showed up. It's a Tetra brand and apparently it can't mount in the liner even if I wanted it to. It only functions sitting in the water. The manual shows just sitting it on a shelf in the water. I'm just going to loop some rope around it and susped it at the right height. So basically this item will work in any pond, it doesn't matter.

Reaction score
The skimmer I ordered just showed up. It's a Tetra brand and apparently it can't mount in the liner even if I wanted it to. It only functions sitting in the water. The manual shows just sitting it on a shelf in the water. I'm just going to loop some rope around it and susped it at the right height. So basically this item will work in any pond, it doesn't matter.
let me know how it works out, sounds like just what I need. What is it called, or do you have a model number? Thanks

Reaction score
Yeah, the skimmer is great. I don't have a model number but Tetra doesn't make too many skimmers, it's easy to find. I put a 900gph pump on it, and attached about 10' of garden hose to the outlet. The skimmer sucks the entire pond surface clean in about an hour. That's a nice amount of time, I can feed the fish and not have to worry about it all getting sucked into the skimmer, but after 30 minutes it starts going in and after an hour it's all gone plus algae and leaves. The garden hose just runs under one of the flaps of my liner about 10' away and then just jets water out into the pond. It creates a really nice current and the fish go crazy playing in it. The skimmer unit doesn't have any way to mount outside the pond, so I just used rope and looped it around my edging rocks. I put a rock on top of the lid to make sure it's always heavy enough to stay in the water. I'm super happy with it though, for like $40 it's an amazing value.

Ask a Question