Newbie help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

New to pond building, and first post so please excuse any dumb questions :)
My mum would like a pond at the bottom of the rockery, with water running down the rockery into the pond.
Plan was to use a preformed liner, but the ground is basically bedrock and we're having to use a breaker and picks to break it up, and just going to use a flexible liner.
Main question is, can we just the water running down a channel on the rockery or would we need to put some sort of sealant on it?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
20200801_173730.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1596382609283.gif
@Gary78
Not sure on the water running down the rockway. It depends on cracks etc. I have no expertise in this matter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You could try it without using sealant and then wait to see how quickly the water drains. If the loss rate is acceptable to you, then you can keep it that way.

Can't say there wouldn't be unexpected problems down the road. I'm just guessing here.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
With the water running down off the hillside, its going to be hard to keep the water clear and health for any possible fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
from your picture and the steepness of the wall your catch basin / pond would need to be Much Much larger then what you showing now for once the water hits it is going to splash and you will lose a good deal of water now if thats not a problem and your on a well and you put in a automatic replacement then your golden. but it's rather doubtful looking at the rock in the picture that this would work I would think a skim coat of mortar would be required or plaster etc. it can be dyed to match your rock and you can even put chippings for the build into the mortar or plaster. But there is probably no bigger challenge then to do what your thinking . Not sure if your Britannia or if Australia but rocks that freeze and thaw often change over the years a lot and could require constant adjustments.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! I would just like to point out that having the pond at the bottom of the hill will get all the run off from that hill when it rains - in the channel you plan for and the sides that you don't. It could easily overflow the pond. And as pointed out above, this may create a water quality problem if you plan on having fish.

Ask a Question