Newbie here...need advice on everything :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello! I have a 30 gallon new container with plants but no fish yet. What would be good fish for me? Maybe a couple minnow or guppies? It is hot where I live, but my pond is in the shade. It has been up & running for about 4 weeks now. Gonna buy a test kit this weekend and start thinking about cycling it soon. Any body here from hotter regions (I live in Texas on the gulf) that I can steal some ideas from!? :)

Attachments

• garden.jpg
    garden.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 319

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
not sure what would be good but colleen in Canada has guppies and has had success with them and she does take them in for winter ,which you won't have to do

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @AmyK !

With a container this size, I wouldn't worry too much about water testing. You'll be putting small fish in the pond, which are easy to care for. I have a similar sized patio pond and have put goldfish or guppies in mine every year - they do great with very little care. I just toss in a few flakes of food now and then. And honestly, with tiny fish I don't even worry about a filter. I just add an airstone or a spitter to keep the water circulating and let the plants do the filtering!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Awesome! should I do a small water change each week (after I get the fish)? 10 % or so??

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Awesome! should I do a small water change each week (after I get the fish)? 10 % or so??

It wouldn't hurt - I don't because mine needs topping off every week or so due to evaporation. I figure that's their freshening up! But if you plan for this patio pond to stay functional year round, you'll want to be a bit more responsible than me!

Ask a Question