Newbie here- needs urgent advice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all, glad to be part of this forum. I need urgent advice. We got our house siding cleaned yesterday and noticed last evening that the fish were struggling. It has freezing temps so that was unusual. Called the company and they confirmed they use diluted bleach . Is there anything that can be done at this point? We are absolutely heartbroken and mortified. Please help. Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1615140746798.gif
@Davekoidad
That is horrible! If it were me I would be taking a hose right now and putting fresh water in there while sucking out the old water. Not sure if this is the best info for you. Perhaps someone w/more knowledge can help and quick! I know there are chlorine removers but not sure how much you would need for such an amount of bleach.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
That's terrible!

I hope the experts here will quickly chime in.

I wonder if just adding a dechlorinizer/ conditioner would be the answer. I guess you would need to know how much to add. Maybe add enough to treat the full volume of your pond.

A partial water change would help, but if it's still cold where you are, it might be disturbing for the fish.

I think I would add the dechlorinator/conditioner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No expert, but I agree with poconojoe. Add a dechlorinator like Prime or Safe, enough to treat the total volume of your pond.

Good luck with your fish and it's good you found the problem so quickly.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Agree, with everyone, you could add the dechlorinator and see if this remedies the issue. If not then this is one of the few situations I would do a partial water change, to dilute the bleach that entered the pond as much as possible. You could check the temp of the pond water, and the temp of the source water, if not a huge difference would definitely do a water change, the fish can osmoregulate, while it maybe somewhat stressful, to me it is much less stressful than sitting in fouled water with high ammonia levels.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome agree with all, add a dechlor asap

Ask a Question