newbie here to ponds do u

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
change the pond water in the winter time or just let it stay in there all winter what do u do during the winter on a pond ?

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
so far this month the weather has been in 50's -upper 60s all month long my friend is doing nothing with well now my koi fish not feeding it or anything with it :(

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
but at night its been freezing so will it be ok for now i have just the one koi fish i am going to be getting in a few months time

Blackdog128

blackdog128
Reaction score
iam not sure how deep the pond is right now my friend is not caring for the pond right she never does anything in the winter time for it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sometimes amazes me how hardy fish can be .I emptied a pond for a realtor as the house had been up for sale for years and she thought nothing was in it and low and behold in all that muck and stink there were lots of fish .A preformed pond too .I gave the fish a new home in a pond people were building as they had no fish yet and were happy to receive free fish .I have taken out 3 ponds like it since and one was 5 years old and nothing running it it for all that time but the fish managed to survive .Some where koi also and way over crowded .BELIEVE ME THESE FISH WERE LUCKY

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
funny thing is muck on the bottom must have been a good foot deep and with the cattail plant and some other plant they must have only had a couple of feet of decent water to swim in .The smell was so bad and once I slowly started taking it apart it got worse .I never want to take apart ponds like that again but you have to feel sorry for the fish .Preformed ponds are not really made for fish sorry to say ,they are sure not worth the money you pay or the work keeping them level at times .Liners are so much easier .I had a preformed and what a waste it was .I made it all pretty only to take it apart .live and learn

Attachments

• murphy pond pictures 001.jpg
    murphy pond pictures 001.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 301

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
Sissy I know what you mean. I went to a house this spring to get some free pond plants but I had to wade into the pond to get them.. It smelled so bad. I do a lot of trout fishing so I had chest high waders I put on. There had to be at least a foot of sludge at the bottom. Water lilies were huge in that pond. The pads were at least 15"s across.

Reaction score
change the pond water in the winter time or just let it stay in there all winter what do u do during the winter on a pond ?

IF your water quality is good (via testing), I would do nothing major but check filters, hoses, etc... IF the filter has a lot of gunk, maybe a quick rinse in a bucket of pond water to get the big stuff out... remove any dying plants floating, prune any hardy plants of dead growth and call it a day.

Reaction score
I had a preformed and what a waste it was .I made it all pretty only to take it apart .live and learn

LOL Sissy. We have one that hubby removed from a clients yard (installed a liner, something more suited to their needs)... As a joke, we threw it in one of our front beds. Thought it would be cute with a dwarf lily in it (it is 60" long)... hubby even added a bucket (with a couple of water hyacinths), to give it a waterfall... Didnt work out so well... Whenever we would be out front, the damn dog would sit in it! I am determined to find a use for it LOL. I was thinking maybe a mini planting bog for one of the small ponds going in next spring??? or maybe an island planting bed for the "main pond"???

Attachments

• afrontyard5.jpg
    afrontyard5.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 374

Ask a Question