Newbie here - Want to build duck pond for two ducks

Reaction score
Country
United States
hi all - I have two female ducks who live and our chicken coop and run with our chickens. We have been using a kiddie pool set up to take them out every day to swim and it isn't a sustainable option. I want to build a more permanent pond using a performed liner in ground with a drain. I have NO IDEA how to start and have been researching for a while. We live in N. CA, so cold isn't an issue. My goal is this:

1) Put small swimming pond in large chicken run so it is safe from predators
2) Have a drain for easy cleaning that can drain to vegetation (french drain)/
3) Install some kind of filter and pump system to keep water moving. Our kiddie pool is basically standing water and we get gross bugs we would like to avoid.

So, wise ones - what products do you recommend? Can I use a preformed liner in a not so big space?

Best,
Sharon

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
B…O…Double G…er spells bog or something like that…. pond with an upflow bog and let the plants do the filtering. It will keep the pond cleaner than any box filter will. Do a search on here for bog builds most on here use them as there only filter on there ponds myself included.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The pond part is easy.... the drain part will be the challenge. I wonder if investing in a good solids handling pump might be a better idea. With the amount of waste ducks add to a pond, you'll probably be cleaning it out on a regular basis. Unless - does it have to be in ground? What about a stock tank? Would the ducks use an above ground swimming hole? Those come with a built in drain and that would be easy peasy.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1625761050396.gif
@sleslie13

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pond part is easy.... the drain part will be the challenge. I wonder if investing in a good solids handling pump might be a better idea. With the amount of waste ducks add to a pond, you'll probably be cleaning it out on a regular basis. Unless - does it have to be in ground? What about a stock tank? Would the ducks use an above ground swimming hole? Those come with a built in drain and that would be easy peasy.
hi! It doesn't have to be in-ground, but we have tried above ground options (we are on iteration 6 at this point!) - the main problem is that one of our ducks is a big girl with foot issue with not a ton of coordination and won't walk up a ramp. She also has trouble getting out of the kiddie pool we currently have so it is a hands on operation. We would like not to have to be present every time she wants to swim! It may be we can use a stock tank with a drain and just bury it a bit more so there is less of an incline/step for her to get over.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
If you have a hill (doesn't need to be a big hill) nearby you could put the liner w/drain on flat ground and just run a pipe down into the ground to the hill and allow the water to run out when you clean it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
B…O…Double G…er spells bog or something like that…. pond with an upflow bog and let the plants do the filtering. It will keep the pond cleaner than any box filter will. Do a search on here for bog builds most on here use them as there only filter on there ponds myself included.
I'm sorry all i can see is @Jhn SHAKING SOME POMPOMS AS HES saying that with a hip twist. Ok im going to have a drink im scared

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
a good solids handling pump might be a better idea
I don't think duck poop would be of any issue for a pump unless it was a small magnetic drive pump. it sure wouldn't be even a challenge for any quality external pump.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I'm sorry all i can see is @Jhn SHAKING SOME POMPOMS AS HES saying that with a hip twist. Ok im going to have a drink im scared
Lol….As long as Gwen stefani is next to me while I am doing it, with my drink in hand or beer hat on it’s all good….prefer her over Winnie the Pooh or tigger…. the lesson here for the childrens is don’t drink and post

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you have a hill (doesn't need to be a big hill) nearby you could put the liner w/drain on flat ground and just run a pipe down into the ground to the hill and allow the water to run out when you clean it.
no hill sadly. I will take some pictures of the space and post them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don't think duck poop would be of any issue for a pump unless it was a small magnetic drive pump. it sure wouldn't be even a challenge for any quality external pump.

You're probably right. I was thinking a small portable sump that he could drop in, drain the pond, rinse it out, and refill it rather than trying to install a drain in the bottom. I'm thinking more "duck swimming pool" than pond.

Ask a Question