Newbie in Belfast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all . I hoped to show some photos of my pond today but the rain has been torrential all day but I will soon . I’m sorry to say yesterday I lost my 1st fish and lost is the right word, I can’t find it anywhere, it’s a 4 inch comet, beautiful red orange colour and it has just disappeared, I don’t have a cat problem and Iv never seen a bird bigger than a sparrow in my garden but I do see magpies & seagulls in the area. I’m thinking of build a pergola over my pond which is 7ftx5ft. I welcome thoughts and suggestions on this.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1593306815340.gif
@Frankie61

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think he's probably just hiding. I, too, have had some fish disappear in surprisingly effective ways!

I look forward to seeing pictures of your pond soon!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, fish are good at hide and seek. Sometimes they can be frightened by something that you will start to think that “something” got them.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks everyone, another fish missing when I got up this AM, again Iv no idea , the weather is shocking so I can’t do a proper investigation.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Guess you could have a sneaky critter that comes at night. Maybe time for a trail cam set up near your pond to see what comes for a visit. They show night time views and when you find out what it is you can then proceed on what to do to keep it out of your pond. Maybe time for a net as that is what I had to do along w/many other here on this forum. Might even need an electric fence if it is a weasel or whatever.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks everyone, another fish missing when I got up this AM, again Iv no idea , the weather is shocking so I can’t do a proper investigation.
The fish might be taking shelter because of the weather. A lot of animals get anxious during storms, and goldfish hide when they're anxious. Are there lots of rocks, pots, liner folds, plants, or algae growths in your pond? These are all places that fish can hide.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fish might be taking shelter because of the weather. A lot of animals get anxious during storms, and goldfish hide when they're anxious. Are there lots of rocks, pots, liner folds, plants, or algae growths in your pond? These are all places that fish can hide.
Yes , I provided lots of nooks and crannies for them to hide from predators.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes , I provided lots of nooks and crannies for them to hide from predators.
The smaller fish turned up this AM but the comet still no show , that’s 4 days now, Iv a feeling it’s stuck somewhere, I have some folds in the liner that the fish use as little caves to stay in , it may have got stuck in one RIP I’d say

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

I have "lost" fish before that then just show up.

Ask a Question