Newbie Mistake Picking Out Fish

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I picked out fish based on view from side in a tank that was lite. When I placed these fish in a black plastic pond they became very hard to see, I blamed the water. The only fish I was able to really see was a white one. I had picked him from feeder tank because he had a red spot on head ( I had one who looked same from a fair as kid ) Viewing from top against the black background makes it hard to see fish. Can I paint the inside of pond ?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What kind of fish? They may change color as they grow. Once they are larger they also should be easier to see. I wouldn't paint your pond since it will eventually be covered in algae anyway.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You're good! No paint. And right now they're probably all staying close to the bottom, right? They're all hard to see when they do that. Once they get comfortable and start to free-swim, they'll be easier to see. The only ones I have that are forever hard to spot are the darkest ones [they look black but are actually a deep bronze].

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Once they get used to hand feeding it is easier .The sick ones I had to take care of are surprised that I got the fish to hand feed and they are enjoying the fish more now than ever before

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I agree with all above, give them some time, they will also grow bigger and make it easier to see them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
We all pick fish initially that we shouldn't pick... don't feel bad.

Confession: My dark blue oranda has been with me now for almost two years. First winter I had him I had to bring him in for a bit cause he was having problems floating in the dead winter. I actually wanted him badly when I first got him but after a month I realize the blue was too dark for the pond and I wish I didn't get him. He's one of my stealthiest fish now... I have a picture that has him in my show case.. look at the last picture at the bottom middle right. He's hard to spot in the picture but once you spot him you can see how big he has grown.

Ask a Question