Newbie - need advise on Bog as filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,
I am in Scotland, UK.

Never had a pond before always kept aquariums so need advise on filtration, especially interested in bog filtration.

Looking at building a small pond for goldfish - 2m x 1.5m x 3ft deep.

Can anyone advise on what size bog is needed and also how to build the bog. I have look at youtube and guides on the internet but they are not clear on how to build it. I am not good at buidling things :( So any a step by step guide would be most helpful. Most of the youtube ones tend to show already completed pond/bogs.

I get the gist of it but have a hard time figuring how to seperate the pond from the bog but still allow water to flow back in but not gravels/muck,ect ?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is some good reading.

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/bog-building.6894/

I draw water from the middle of the pond instead of the bottom. My bog is higher than the pond it waterfalls back in.

The pea gravel and plants the water goes through in the bog, removes the debris from the water and hangs on to it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-9-14_9-23-59.gif
@Rubberband

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
It can be very simple as build a 18" berm in a circle on side of pond place liner and make a area in the berm to run into pond about 1 inch from top. Lay liner in bog make sure enough slack to lay liner into the existing pond like a mini creek then make a few pipes in bottom cut slots in pipe and place a pump in pond and feed the bog or run a T fitting off your waterfall feed line into bog. Add 12 inches or so of pea gravel in bog and your golden. Size of bog shoot for 30% the size of your existing pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks all for the quick replies and Welcome :)

Just going to read through that lengthy link provided by addy1 so look out for more question in the near future.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A quick question on the bog - since it is water logged does it attract flies/mosquitos?

Is that an issue at all?

Thanks

Ask a Question