Newbie Needs Advice

Discussion in 'Winterizing Your Pond' started by AngelaMarie, Sep 10, 2017.

1. AngelaMarie

Lisak1

200 gallons really worries me - that's just not a lot of water. And 18" isn't deep enough, either. 2 feet is the minimum recommendation in our zone 5B. I would plan to bring those fish inside to be on the safe side. I mean, if we have a mild winter they might be fine - but by the time you realize it's NOT it'll be too late.

It's the WATER temperature you're concerned with - not the air temperature. Your pond will cool slowly - water doesn't have dramatic drops and rises in temperature like the air does.

Lisak1, Sep 17, 2017
    AngelaMarie likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. AngelaMarie

AngelaMarie

I don't have a garage but I have a basement that wouldn't get any colder than 60-65 degrees. However, that means I would have to continue feeding them twice a day, right? And, they wouldn't get the sunlight that they are used to. Does that matter? I'm concerned about taking them out of their habitat into a different habitat, and then back into their pond six months later. Is that too much transition for these fish?

AngelaMarie, Sep 17, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. AngelaMarie

AngelaMarie

The bottom half of the pond is in ground and then we built up around the top half. Still think it can freeze solid? Even if I run the pump?

AngelaMarie, Sep 17, 2017
  4. AngelaMarie

Faebinder

At 60-65F you just feed them once a day... light doesn't matter. I'm not sure if fish make vitamin D from the sun but in the winter they don't get much of it anyway... you'll need a filter and need to change 90% of the water once every 3 days first 2 weeks then 90% once week after..

Faebinder, Sep 18, 2017
  5. AngelaMarie

j.w I Love my Goldies

upload_2017-9-18_9-25-18.gif @Angela Marie I feed my goldfish once a day till our temps get down in the mid 50's consistently. I start feeding again in Spring when temps are consistently above the mid 50's.

j.w, Sep 18, 2017
  6. AngelaMarie

Faebinder

Honestly... yes without a trough heater. Two years ago my 300 gallon pond (all buried) didn't freeze solid but the entire surface froze when we had several days of 0s except for the area around the waterfall. My co-worker who had an above ground 200 gallons had most of her pond frozen and none of her fish survived.... So you risk some fish dying if you will go without one and are above ground.

Again they aren't hard to have. They didn't spike my bill either. IMO it's cheaper to get one and run it than to get an aquarium, a filter, an aerator for indoors and do the water changes.

Here is the one I use.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Faebinder, Sep 18, 2017
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question