Newbie needs help, water won't clear

Reaction score
Hi Folks
We have just dug our first pond after years of admiring other family members ponds. Took us a while to get round to it, but having bought a trio of Bali Ducks, wanted somewhere for them to swim and get wet. We are also keen to keep fish as well.
Have done all the relevant research on filter and pump sizes and got the following.
3x2.8x.4m pond volume of pond approx 3400lts, liner fits all good, bought a lotus green genie 6000 uvfilter, and a Fishmate pond pump 4000. All good so far, put some plants in and 5 goldfish. Since putting the plants in, the water just dosen't want to clear.
Everything I can find on the net says the size of filter and pump are fine, could it be the plants or the ducks that are causing the problem?
Please help, Husband now pulling hair out, and he dosen't have much left!

Reaction score
hi and welcome to the wonderful world of fish keeping, the first thing i would say is do nothing yet as you need to let the biological filter get established, after a week or so it should gradually clear, do some water quality checks so you can see what is going on, when i first started i was told to see exactly how much water was being filtered, it's a simple test, get a stop watch and a bucket, hold the bucket under the outlet for 6 seconds, measure the amount of water in the bucket and times that by ten, this will tell you how much water is being filtered for 1 minute and just times that by sixty this will let you know what you are filtering per hour, i've always been led to believe that all of the water in the pond should be turned around at least every two hours, please let us know how you get on.

mick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
As previously said, be patient! I go through cloudy, or tea-colored water almost every spring. Things are getting settled - you have plants in there that might have let some dirt escape. I can't imagine the ducks are helping to clear it! It's hard to wait, but you have to! Don't give up - tell the husband to stop looking at it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Whenever I hear "ducks" the first thing I think of isn't clear water! But I hope this worked out for the OP!

Ask a Question