Newbie Needs Help

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I have a relatively small pond in my garden ( 4mtrs x 2mtrs) recently I have approx 20 baby goldfish but I have also got 6 baby fish which are black from nose to tail.
I have never had a black fish of any description at any time and I am struggling to understand how this has come about , any help you can offer would be most welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
a lot of goldfish start off that way; in time, most will change but there may be some that never do. I have probably 7 or so 8 year old 'dark' goldfish. I didn't like them at first but now, they help set off the white/gold/shubunkin varieties as the herd swims by.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well, let's see if I can explain... you see when the MOMMY fish loves the DADDY fish... haha! Congrats! You've got babies! Oh and your original "babies" aren't babies anymore!

It's also possible though that you imported some eggs into the pond - have you added any plants this year?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1601337193595.png
@Smiddybar
I have had some goldfish fry stay black for several years and then whamo they start to change to orange or white or peach color.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have some black ones too. They are cool. Some have a gold/bronze colored belly. I have one that has big awesome flowing fins. Most of my black ones are in their second season, so I don't know if they are going to change or stay black.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum. I have a lot of golden/black gold fish, some are changing some are not.

Ask a Question