Newbie Needs Your Guys Expert Advice Please!

Reaction score
Ok, so recently my uncle gave me his plastic pond around 30-40 gallons(really small i know) and its odd-shaped. My plan is to fill it, and stock it with a few goldfish. The pond is a few years old and although i water tested and it doesn't leak i still plan to put an additional pond liner inside it. So basically ill have a pond liner within the plastic pond just to be safe. Since the pond is so small, I plan to put it upstairs in my bedroom corner. Good or bad idea? I've been reading that most ponds need some type of support structure or encasing to keep it from bulging or cracking. I don't really have the room to build a support structure for it and nor do i know how. Would it be ok to just use the plastic pond with the additional pond liner? What are the chances of it splitting or cracking in a small pond like this? Also, how would i install the pond liner in the pond? would i just use some type of super strong adhesive? I don't really care if it looks bad, as i'm basically using it as a fish tank except that i can look down on the fish. Any advice or suggestions about this idea would be so gladly appreciated. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid idea, but thats what i want to do with it. My biggest concern is it leaking. Please comment on this matter I have no idea what im doing hehe, thanks! :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
YellowFish.gif
GoneFishin

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
you could try building bricks or something round it to help support it, as for the liner just lay it in and smooth as many creases out as you can, wouldn't think you need to stick it down, at that size pond i would only have a couple of goldfish they do grow to be large fish so will need a new home when they grow. and welcome :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
welcomewagon-15.gif

welcome and I agree with stroppy put some blocks around it, just to give it a little support.

I doubt it would split or crack on you, unless you try to move it once it is full, the bricks will give it some side strength.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Welcome to the forum !!
Just lay the new liner in it ,the water will hold it in place

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Welcome to the Forum. In your BEDROOM??? Wouldn't you be better off finding a used aquarium? Less mess and a nice side view of the inhabitants. John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just wondering how old you are GoneFishin.................cuz if you are in your parents house I hope they are ok w/ this and is anybody living underneath your bedroom :D

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I don't think I would try a pond in the house, unless the house is designed for a pond, just to many things that could go wrong. Aquariums are designed for in the house. Ponds are designed to be in the ground and supported. getting good support around a preformed pond isn't going to be a easy task, if it starts leaking where is the water going, wood floors, carpet, upstairs, leaking down stairs? This could result in some VERY expensive damage if it did start to leak. Plus a pond isn't insulated, it will fluctuate with temp changes, in aquarium you can regulate the temp with a heater and the glass serves as a insulation barrier. In a preformed pond if you tryied to use a heater and a fish moved it against the liner it will burn a hole through the liners, both edpm and the pre-formed.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
30 gals....not worth the risks or trouble...30 gal aquariums arent expensive. and you wont step in it in the middle of the night stumbling to the john!... lol

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
And if you do decide on the bedroom pond, for God's sake don't turn on the hose and walk away!!!!! John

Reaction score
hey guys thanks for all your advice and comments!....oh yeah and j.w im just a college student with too much time and a big empty bedroom lol. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh ok GoneFishin. Are you living at home or away at college? Are you gonna do the pond then in your room? If you do take many precautions so as to not let it leak or you will be in big doo doo, :fingersx:

Reaction score
Oh ok GoneFishin. Are you living at home or away at college? Are you gonna do the pond then in your room? If you do take many precautions so as to not let it leak or you will be in big doo doo, :fingersx:
I'm away at college and haven't decided on whether to put in or not. Sounded like a good idea in the beginning but now i'm having second thoughts....lol

Ask a Question