Newbie New Pond Construction

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Well this one has been quite a ride... My neighbor is a heavy equipment operator and after some casual conversation kindly offered to dig me the beginnings of a pond in an old depression that I had cleaned out because the former owners of this property thought it would be a good place to throw gardening trash like potting soil bags and planters and just let it get covered in leaves. We've been working at thinning the trees and beautifying this spot and I had always wanted a small pond... so this offer seemed too good to pass up. Especially considering how rocky the spot was. In my mind, cause I'm an idiot, I thought I'd just toss in a bio falls and be done. I was well on my way to Pond Digger's Ponds Gone Wrong Episode 1.

1.jpg

Once the initial hole was dug I realized there was so much I didn't know. So, I researched on another ponding forum and quickly learned there was also so much I couldn't afford and didn't want to maintain (fancy sieves) and so much more I didn't necessarily have the room for (giant bottom drain fed IBC settlement totes). That experience really helped me to get more focused about what I really wanted out of this pond in order for it to be a successful project. It turns out I didn't really want a koi pond. I wanted a great vibe, a nice frog bath, some aquatic plants, and a couple shubunkins.

After LOTS of research here (ESPECIALLY addy's bog how to and lisak's many informative posts) I think I've finally worked out a setup that's going to be perfect. First thing, had to widen the pond and dig a bog - but by hand this time since my neighbor's mini-excavator was only a temporary fixture while he was working on his own yard project.

2.jpg

aaaaaand an intake bay cause I just couldn't come around to a plastic skimmer.

3.jpg

You might even be able to spy the water level hanging in a tree. That was a tool I had no idea about until lurking around this forum. Also a tool we learned about just in time because we have a bit of a slant to this area as you can tell in the earlier pictures.

It was about this time -you know, once everything was dug- that I learned a 20x25 liner was the largest size available semi-locally without needing to spend quite a lot for a custom cut and major shipping charges. Fortunately it looked like a 20x25 was going to fit perfectly, so we went for it. After getting some MUCH NEEDED rain I reshaped the hole, cleaned out the last of the roots and rocks, dug out the intake bay some more, and we started laying down the underlayment and liner.

After one final check with the water level (and a few marks made with chalk) we dropped the pump vault into the intake bay, put in a little gravel to hold that section in place, and started to put some rocks around the edge. Fortunately, between the hole we dug and remnants from old barn foundations and stone walls there are plenty of rocks kicking around the property looking for work to do. After placing the first one we quickly realized we were setting ourselves up for a really weird water line where the rocks were mostly going to be sitting on top of the liner not touching the water at all. So we peeled back the edge of the liner and using our chalk marks from water leveling as a guide dug out another shelf that would allow the water to come up and touch our edge rocks the way a proper pond should be.

Our goal for this weekend was to plumb the pump (laguna max-flo 2000) and "finish" rocking in the intake bay. I'm happy to say after driving around to a few local pool stores and hardware stores I finally sourced the flexpvc we needed and got it done before dinner time. Though I did end up having to just about boil the end of the flexpvc to get it over the quick connect for the laguna.

4.jpg

I test "filled" the bay to the point where it just started to flow back into the pond and then turned on the pump. Success! The hope is that the back side of the intake bay will function as the low point in the pond and drain over that small flat rock in the event of an overflow.

5.jpg

Still have plenty of work to do but I'm really excited with the progress so far, and it's thanks to a lot of folks here and how freely yall share your experiences. So thanks!

Next for me is getting the bog filled and the overflow waterfall (which you can almost make out across from the intake bay) tested out.

Hopefully no one is noticing any glaring issues at this point. If you are please let me know! I'm in a race against winter at this point but I think I can make it. I am hoping to be able to leave the pump on all winter but am a little concerned the intake bay might freeze up. I guess we'll see! I'll keep posting here as I get more done.

Last edited:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our forum!

Great adventure you have going there.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome! Nice job so far. I can't wait to see more pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Thanks yall for the well wishes. Yep I'm thinking only 2 or so shubunkins. Not going to try stocking those so close to winter though, probably I'll just put a couple shiners in there this winter as an experiment or maybe some comets. Unless I'm wrong and yall think I would be able to stock shubunkins so late. I have a lot of experience with indoor fish keeping but none with pond fish keeping so I was going to err on the side of caution.

Honestly I'm even a bit concerned about which plants I can still put in the bog with the temps so cold in the evening/morning. More research to do!

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
welcome! you are doing your pond correctly on the first time! ( this is my fourth time and I am finally hoping to get it correct ;) )

I would not add fish from an indoor place ( petsmart petco ect, )because there water is heated and it would be a shock to go from 76 to 50/60 degree water. If you do have a pond store where they keep the fish outside, you could add a couple fish, just dont expect them to be very active as they may be starting to go into winter mode.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Thanks for the welcome messages and advice yall. I don't think there are any pond stores that still have fish outside right now so I'm definitely going to wait on adding anything except for maybe a couple of shiners during ice fishing season.

Since I'm still a little conflicted on the plumbing setup of my bog as evidenced by the DIY thread about flexpvc; so I shifted gears and spent my lunch doing something that required less thinking: hauling some rocks from the back woods and rocking the main pond.

6.jpg

Tomorrow I'll have to haul out some new recruits for the next section.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Thanks for the welcome messages and advice yall. I don't think there are any pond stores that still have fish outside right now so I'm definitely going to wait on adding anything except for maybe a couple of shiners during ice fishing season.

Since I'm still a little conflicted on the plumbing setup of my bog as evidenced by the DIY thread about flexpvc; so I shifted gears and spent my lunch doing something that required less thinking: hauling some rocks from the back woods and rocking the main pond.

View attachment 134466

Tomorrow I'll have to haul out some new recruits for the next section.
wonderful! may I add a suggestion?

you really dont want to rock in the top beofre you a. have it filled or b. have the rest rocked in.

this is because the water will push down on the liner using up a bit more of it to press down on the dirt, and if you ahve rocks that arent allowing this to hapen the liner may get streched out and weakend, or even worse tear.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can possibly get away with rocking one side but don't do the whole perimeter. Your liner will get pulled down and the rocks will fall in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Thanks that's a good tip! I think I'll add one or two more rocks and then fill I guess. I tried to go around today and make sure none of the sides were stretching but filling would prolly be the best way to check.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
Ok, I tried to fill it up yesterday and learned quite a lot. Can't thank yall enough for convincing me to do that. It overflowed a bit; it needed reshaping a bit; I had to put in a check valve of course. I did make a montage video of the whole experience.

I removed the rock from the intake bay and that's working even better. After a windy night I came out to a clean pond and many leaves and sticks in the intake bay. I'd say that's the success of the build so far. The bog is a little sketchy but I'm going to see what I can do there. Definitely open to suggestions on the sketchy edge.

TheFishGuy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Ok, I tried to fill it up yesterday and learned quite a lot. Can't thank yall enough for convincing me to do that. It overflowed a bit; it needed reshaping a bit; I had to put in a check valve of course. I did make a montage video of the whole experience.

I removed the rock from the intake bay and that's working even better. After a windy night I came out to a clean pond and many leaves and sticks in the intake bay. I'd say that's the success of the build so far. The bog is a little sketchy but I'm going to see what I can do there. Definitely open to suggestions on the sketchy edge.
as always! Some unexpected issues, but looks like you are figuring it out!

Ask a Question