newbie pond - early next spring...

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m looking to install a small garden pond next Spring and looking for some advice. I have an area approx.. 15’x10’ but guessing the pond inside dimensions will be in the range of 10’x6’ +/-. The area is level.

I’m thinking I’d want to install sometime of water fall on one end which could possibility hide the filter/pump. I’d like to have a few gold fish in the pond as well as a few plants around the edges.

I’ve done some reading and quite frankly, am a bit overwhelmed by the options and information on the internet.

Questions:

1. My house is located in Maryland, outside of Baltimore. How deep does the Pond need to be so the fish can survive the winter? Plan B would be to bring them inside in a tank when it gets cold.
2. What type of filtration system do I need? This is going to be a starter pond but I do want to do it right. I don’t have a huge budget for the project.
3. What type of chemicals will I need?
4. Any pointers for a garden pond rookie? I will be doing the installation myself.
5. Are there kids or plans somewhere that starters/rookies (like me) can start with?

Thank you for the help!!!!
Scott

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
4 or more feet the deeper the better cooler in summer warmer in winter .CHEMICALS none, build your own filter,liner ,shovel and plenty of painkillers for the aches . plenty of info here .How big are you going and better to get goldfish they are more forgiving of water quality .Test kit for the pond water and a pump you want to keep it cheap check out lowes new smart pumps and pay the extra 5 dollars for extended warranty .That pump is uses 20 % less energy and has a shut off so it can not burn out in low water .A lot of luck in that digging and addy lives in Maryland also .She is free and loves to dig LOL ( just kidding addy )

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hello,

I’m looking to install a small garden pond next Spring and looking for some advice. I have an area approx.. 15’x10’ but guessing the pond inside dimensions will be in the range of 10’x6’ +/-. The area is level.

I’m thinking I’d want to install sometime of water fall on one end which could possibility hide the filter/pump. I’d like to have a few gold fish in the pond as well as a few plants around the edges.

I’ve done some reading and quite frankly, am a bit overwhelmed by the options and information on the internet.

Questions:

1. My house is located in Maryland, outside of Baltimore. How deep does the Pond need to be so the fish can survive the winter? Plan B would be to bring them inside in a tank when it gets cold.
2. What type of filtration system do I need? This is going to be a starter pond but I do want to do it right. I don’t have a huge budget for the project.
3. What type of chemicals will I need?
4. Any pointers for a garden pond rookie? I will be doing the installation myself.
5. Are there kids or plans somewhere that starters/rookies (like me) can start with?

Thank you for the help!!!!
Scott

I am in frederick, the deepest part of my pond is 5 feet, so far the deepest the ice has formed was 8 iches last winter.
Make your pond so the fish can stay outside, makes life easier. They are hard to catch
Check the diy section there are some good filters you can make and use, that work well. I use a bog as my filter, had the room to make a nice big one.
Take a hose or rope and lay out what you want your pond to look like.
Watch rain storms for any run off issues, does it flood there, have a mini river when it rains hard
You should not need any chemicals once you get it up and running, unless you are on city water and need to de chlor the water.
Are you well or city water? I am on a well, acidic, had to use some baking soda to get the ph up when I first started it up

lol Sissy, if I could get my tractor there I would dig, but not by shovel!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
oh come on addy digging keeps you young .I thought I remembered your pond was over 4 feet but it is always better to go deeper .That way later you don't say I should have went deeper even though you may say i should have went bigger ,we seem to do that .I can just see you going down the highway on your tractor now .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
putt putt putt top speed of 8 mph...........

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
look out world .Here they go down highway 58 and you can pass them at a safe speed but if you make it unsafe for them you get a ticket .They get farm use license plates

Reaction score
I am in frederick, the deepest part of my pond is 5 feet, so far the deepest the ice has formed was 8 iches last winter.
Make your pond so the fish can stay outside, makes life easier. They are hard to catch
Check the diy section there are some good filters you can make and use, that work well. I use a bog as my filter, had the room to make a nice big one.
Take a hose or rope and lay out what you want your pond to look like.
Watch rain storms for any run off issues, does it flood there, have a mini river when it rains hard
You should not need any chemicals once you get it up and running, unless you are on city water and need to de chlor the water.
Are you well or city water? I am on a well, acidic, had to use some baking soda to get the ph up when I first started it up

lol Sissy, if I could get my tractor there I would dig, but not by shovel!

Well... occasionally.... on really, really heavy rains, my gutter does overflow near this area and I can see some storm water going into the pond... what kind of an affect will this have on my fish?

Given the dimensions I have to work with, I'm not sure I'll get a pond that keep (5'). Will 3' be enough?

I am on city water. .for better or worse.

Reaction score
Here are a couple pictures of one of the areas I'm thinking of installing the garden pond......i'm a little concerned I won't have enough space but I've seen ponds this small before (neighbors houses)..

photo2zmm.jpg

photoqtm.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That will work for a pond, just go deep, stick with goldfish shubunkins, they are less fussy then koi and just as pretty in my opinion.

Don't tell anybody, but I have gutter water going into my pond, so far no issues. It is from a metal roofed building, during the horrible dry summer, I did have our house gutters going to the pond also, (new roof shingles) no water issues, fish all still swimming and healthy.

You just don't want the water to drag in soil, mulch, fertilizers into the pond

Reaction score
That will work for a pond, just go deep, stick with goldfish shubunkins, they are less fussy then koi and just as pretty in my opinion.

Don't tell anybody, but I have gutter water going into my pond, so far no issues. It is from a metal roofed building, during the horrible dry summer, I did have our house gutters going to the pond also, (new roof shingles) no water issues, fish all still swimming and healthy.

You just don't want the water to drag in soil, mulch, fertilizers into the pond

cool, thank you. I think the next couple months will be research and gathering supplies.... will start once we get toward the end of winter and snow (if we get any). Where does everyone typically get supplies?

Scott

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
off the net lol, pvc from lowes, home depot. There are some vendors on the site that sell pumps etc.

Sissy will chime in, she has a knack for finding supplies inexpensively.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Scott do you know if there is anything down underground in that spot? Pipes etc. If not then I'd go the 5ft deep route for sure unless you know for sure your close neighbors have no problems w/ shallower depth during the seriously coldest part of winter. You don't want to have to bring fish in the house if you don't have to. Maybe you are concerned w/ the depth of it being that close to where people walk and falling in. You could put a nice little fence around it just in case. I've got a fence around mine (nothing fancy) but using it as part of a way to keep the heron out, kids,dogs etc. as my pond is right in front of our house also. Mine's only 3.5ft deep give or take some and about 18ft by 8ft appx. if memory serves me right.

IMG_1141.jpg

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You may want to check and see if there any restrictions on having something that deep without a fence around it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
ding ding .I'm back and you may have to get the larger gutters and downspouts for the ones that overflow and remember to call dig safe .You don't want to incounter any hidden lines .Check out lowes new smart pumps .I bought one and they turn off with low water and use 20 % electric and wow do they pump the water .I got the 2900 gph sale because package was damaged ,I still like my harbor freight ones .If you buy at lowes ask for the 5 dollar extended warranty worth it anything happens even if it's you fault they replace it also .Harbor freight has same warranty for 3 years .I know here in Danville city limits you are allowed a fountain but not even a preformed pond in the front yard but a business can have one .County they don't care .I buy from pet mountain and big als and some on e-bay .Northern tools also carries pond supplies like pumps and liners

Ask a Question