Newbie retired colonel need your help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all -

Military intel, I know, retiring as a bird colonel after 23 years of serving this great country of ours. Ponds...not so much. Got a reco for a guy to excavate a new pond, about 1/3 acre (see pic) here in Hardee County, FL.
IMG_0474.JPG

Soil is very sandy. Pond filled up quite a lot as bottom of about 10 ft draws from the elevated water table (tremendous rains here - Aug/Sep wettest since 1890) and I have been slowly adding some well water through hose to fill further.

Here's my question: just rainwater runs down into this pond - no other flowing water - and the soil erosion to the pond bank is incredible - see 2 pics.

IMG_0475.JPG

IMG_0476 (1).JPG

Now, this pond was dug just 2 weeks ago. And I have had another guy furrow & seed the bare area around the pond - and even into its banks - with Bahia grass seed. We did this last Saturday and that seed is now just starting to germinate.
And common sense tells me that if and when some sort of roots take hold on these banks (from Bahia grass or some sort of shorescaping plants - saw a good article about those from Clemson U)that the erosion would be at a much slower pace because there would be something to hold the soil in place.

But what do I do about this massive erosion right now, some of which looks like some C4 exploded there? Can't leave it like it is as someone can break a leg if they don't pay attention.

Dumping more of this sandy soil in to the crevasses seems to be a waste as it would appear to just erode again. What alternatives do I have?

Next week, I'm having some fellows put in a 3/4 HP Kasco aerator with an LED light set modified to run red, white & blue, to pay tribute to all the outstanding men & women I served with.

Any suggestions to this old colonel would be most appreciated!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome Colonel and thank you for your service!

I don't know much about sandy soil conditions as we are all red clay here as far as the shovel (or backhoe) can dig. But we have some smart folks here who will surely have some good advice for you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you. It was my honor to serve. I, too, am used to clay soils since we had a home up north near West Point during the times we were not deployed all over the world. By we, I include my lovely wife whom I tragically lost due to an accident just 8 days after we came down to Florida a couple of years ago. But she is here with me, in spirit, and would love to have a beautiful pond. When you work in intel, if you're smart you always defer to the person who has more good info. And that's why I'm here!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Sandy soil is not suitable. It will erode quite readily, regardless of plantings and will not hold water because of its porosity. Any well water added will only leach out into the surrounding soil. The high water table is the only thing containing the water that is already in this pond.
You have three (3) options: 1. drain the pond and lay down a 8" - 10" layer of pure clay. Compact same. 2. Apply sufficient Bentonite to thoroughly seal pond. Must be tilled in. 3. Install a liner, either Polyethylene or Polypropolene would be the logical choice, covering the en tire pond basin. This in turn may be topped with soil or clay to provide planting sub-strate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. The guy who dug the pond came recommended by a good contractor. One would think this excavator would know these options you list as the sandy soil is quite apparent. I will certainly consider them.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
could use use an erosion blanket or those erosion tubes and plant plants behind them .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I know here the farmers use these methods when they build a farm ponds from scratch .I saw the erosion tube at a pond that i took frogs to and he has mini cattails growing behind it .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
could use use an erosion blanket or those erosion tubes and plant plants behind them .

These may help but will not solve the lack of water retention once the water table drops.
Bank erosion is usually exacerbated by faulty initial excavation and construction. The bank slope is constructed too steep and the bank is gradually undercut and collapses or is just eroded away by rainfall run-off. A more gentle sloping is always recommended.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Agreed. Not sure if this is even the right forum for his type of pond. I've poked around on a forum called "The Pond Boss" which is specifically for people with large ponds - farm ponds, trout and bass ponds, etc. Maybe they could have some information for you @Colonel Bob

Having said that - don't leave us! We are a WAAAAY more fun than any other forum out there!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! So sorry to hear about your wife, can't imagine how hard that must have been. If we can help you in any way with your pond, we will :)

Ask a Question