Newbie. Skimmer clogging at the entrance

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all. First post. Wonderful forum. I hope to contribute to the discussions.

I just installed my 2500 gal pond with a skimmer/filter at one end and a waterfall at the other. I believe most skimmers have a tab the top of the faceplate that, I think, is for keeping the door from completely closing. I am close to my ideal water level per the skimmer/filter manufacturer’s (Savio) requirement. But often debris (mostly leaves sitting high on the water will get caught on the tab that hangs down from the top of the skimmer opening. Can I remove or modify this tab to allow better collection of surface debris from my pond?

I realize my water level in the the below filter is a bit high but it highlights my issue.

Thanks!

BF6E6409-47C3-4D7E-B33C-597B0DFF9ED4.jpeg
69622745-8074-4F83-8718-5CA4176A57D0.jpeg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
I actually have never seen a skimmer with that tab, most can close, it can be helpful for them to close for maintenance. Aquascape for example, you can close and lock it and it is even somewhat watertight!

I would say go ahead and break it off, but it may void the manufacturer warranty, and could cause problems I am just unaware off, so know that.

On the other hand, Nice pond and welcome to the forum!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'll have to take a look at my skimmer to se if I have a tab. Savio has good customer support, so give them a call :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would recommend just taking the wier door out. That's what my pond supplier recommended when my fish opted to hide in the skimmer and then couldn't get out.

Ask a Question