newbie to group

Reaction score
Just joined. I am from Canada and just completed a water feature in my home.
Hopefully I would get some good advise in maintening an above ground pond in our zone for the winter. there is not much insulation on half of the basin.
I have a dozen goldfish/koi (4" in size now. they grow so fast in a month)
I'm posting some pics to share and get some critic or advise :)

Attachments

• IMG_1981.jpg
    IMG_1981.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_2164.jpg
    IMG_2164.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_2098.jpg
    IMG_2098.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_2074.jpg
    IMG_2074.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 312

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
welcome to the group Kevin...cool little setup...a 30" koi may have trouble turning around tho!! LOL..enjoy the group, and your pond

Reaction score
In regards to the waterfalls. I have an upper basin tray 10' x 2' x 6"H sheet gal steel with one side lower lip for water flow and just a 2500 gph pump 1 1/2inch pipe and scheduled timer to it. also a separate pump to a uv water filter trickling 24h
Water cascades on the flagstones.

Attachments

• IMG_2308.jpg
    IMG_2308.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 295
Reaction score
i love it! how marvelous! I agree that you should stick to goldfish in this settting, and that as koi grow it will be too narrow for them.

Try some Sarassa goldfish, as they are the poor man's koi but have that same kohaku colors of koi. They don't get as big, but are just as lively. They are readily available at most fish shops for around $6/US.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
i love it! how marvelous! I agree that you should stick to goldfish in this settting, and that as koi grow it will be too narrow for them.

Try some Sarassa goldfish, as they are the poor man's koi but have that same kohaku colors of koi. They don't get as big, but are just as lively. They are readily available at most fish shops for around $6/US.

actually my goldfish kind of have different colors just like the koi. Picked the different color patterns.
my dad originally dumped 50 and another 50, days later for my 50th birthday on to an unfiltered water. they all died in two weeks. So i started with treating the water then putting 6 at a time and stoped at 18 now i have 15 healthy ones. they were so cheap hear .27 cents each at pet smart.

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpg
    IMG_2165.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 308
Reaction score
yes, I can see from your photo you've already got what appears to be some sarassa's in there. Nice! What a cool pond that fits into that setting you have chosen perfectly.

Reaction score
Your pond fits your house perfectly. Love the width of your waterfall as well. Beautiful setting and I like all the flagstone work Wow! Welcome to the forum.

Ask a Question