Newbie to Koi Pond ... question about shubunkin vs koi

Reaction score
Hi all! I am new to the Koi world and very excited. I have a koi pond I built last year and never put any fish in (did put some plants in). I believe there may have been some eggs on the plants and low and behold I found a couple baby shubunkin or koi? i know for certain there is a mix of both because I saw a larger koi. but so confused about the shubunkin and have tried figuring it out.

so I went and got some more Koi to get the pond active! I am quarantining them now and know for sure they are koi as they are larger.
I want to remove the shubunkin and rehome them to my nextdoor neighbor who loves them. I love all fish but really don't want to have the shubunkin breed and have a million babies everywhere !

I can't find any anatomy pics online and am trying to figure it out by the fins, mouth shape and whiskers (or if anyone else has some seriously accurate way of distinguishing between the two when they are babies please help!). They just look so similar to me especially when they are this small (about 1-2 inches).

***** I read something about koi having 2 anal fins and shubunkin having 1 or is it vise versa?

****** Also the whiskers / barbels I know Koi have. But the thing is these fish are babies so I really can not tell if its a koi or shubunkin.
My questions are also
- Do baby SHUBUNKIN have tiny whiskers on top?
- Do Baby Koi have whiskers on top AND barbels on bottom?

If anyone can help I am greatly appreciative! Thank you so much!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Gold fish keep there fin on there backs up far more then do koi. Koi also have three fins on there underside.on each side. Koi can also be longer then goldfish for the same size yes the wiskers and the cent glands under the eyes.

Reaction score
Gold fish keep there fin on there backs up far more then do koi. Koi also have three fins on there underside.on each side. Koi can also be longer then goldfish for the same size yes the wiskers and the cent glands under the eyes.
Thank you for your response. So koi will have both sets of whiskers and the barbels where as the goldfish just have little whiskers? Sorry I feel quite silly asking such detailed questions about them but I appreciate your help!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Here is a simple type explanation

• Goldfish are generally smaller than koi when adult.
  • Goldfish can be seen in a much greater variety of body, fin and tail shapes than koi.
  • Koi tend to have a greater range of color and pattern combinations than goldfish.
  • Koi have clearly visible barbels near their mouths, which are missing from goldfish.
  • Goldfish have a split caudal fin, while on koi, the caudal fin is joined.
  • The dorsal fin of the goldfish is detached and free at the back, while on the koi, it is attached along the whole of its length.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You jumped right to "koi or shubunkin" - maybe just goldfish. Are you seeing tr-colored markings?

We'd love to see pictures of your pond!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
How big is your pond? Koi need a lot of space and it sounds like you are gathering quite a few already.
I was wondering the same thing.
These fish multiply like crazy.
You'd be better off keeping the numbers way down to start with, because in a few years you will be severely overpopulated, which will negatively affect water quality.

Whenever I read "koi pond" I cringe. That term has become universal in outdoor fish keeping. It's not the consumer or newbie ponder's fault, it's the industry that is only interested in profits.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1620837869374.gif
@k01fishfam
1620838085119.png

Reaction score
You jumped right to "koi or shubunkin" - maybe just goldfish. Are you seeing tr-colored markings?

We'd love to see pictures of your pond!
I am certain they are Shubunkin and Koi mix :) found out more info woo hoo! thank you very much

Reaction score
How big is your pond? Koi need a lot of space and it sounds like you are gathering quite a few already.
4000 gal right now and its only half full. Going to finish securing a certain spot then fill the rest up. I have already gotten half of the shubunkin in and have 5 baby koi (largest one at 10", the others around 5" or 6"). I am rehoming koi if overcrowding occurs or they are unhappy, however... I have a few I am very attached to and these ones will stay. Their happiness and comfort is my top priority. Hence why i wanted to remove the shubunkin ;)

Reaction score
Alrighty, thank you to everyone who responded. The mystery has been solved. My neighbor put her shubunkin in there :eek: and I've already got about half of them out so I will continue to gently remove them and ensure its only koi. Also, if my fish need a bigger home I have no problem expanding my pond but as stated I already have the intention of rehoming a couple once they get a little larger. Everyone is swimming around very happy right now! Best to everyone and thank you again

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing.
These fish multiply like crazy.
You'd be better off keeping the numbers way down to start with, because in a few years you will be severely overpopulated, which will negatively affect water quality.

Whenever I read "koi pond" I cringe. That term has become universal in outdoor fish keeping. It's not the consumer or newbie ponder's fault, it's the industry that is only interested in profits.
Wooosh yes I didn't realize the shubunkin could get out of control so they are slowly making their way out. I responsed in another comment but 4000 gal and only half full, going to fill the rest after some foundation stuff is finished and rehome some if needed. I'm not one who is interested about profits or spending outrageous amounts of money on a certain type. I have connected with the ones I have here at home now and give them the upmost care and respect. It is a spiritual mediation for me :)

Ask a Question