Newbie to pond building seeks wise counsel

Reaction score
Hi all!

Just did a makeover on the front of my house. I took out the old 6' X 8'concrete porch & path (right out of the 60's & 70's) and replaced it with a new porch & path.

Before:
IMGP0710.jpg

After:
IMG_0022.jpg

So I'm left with an interesting conundrum; what to do with the space between the walkway and the garage? My first thought was to fill it with decorative washed river rock, but it dawned on me that a water feature might look better.

Here is the space in its present state:

IMG_0018.jpg

I am wide open to suggestion. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
is there easy access to electricity?

You can do a water feature, but I would not put fish in it. I think that area is way too small for that and keeping a pond clean and fish alive in such a small area will be a nightmare.

How about one of those upright stones with a hole in the middle just pouring down? You could have your river rock all over the the bottom with the stone jutting up and out.

Reaction score
Hi koikeepr. Yes, If you look at the last pic you can see a blue plastic raceway that will eventually pass through the foundation into the garage. There is hydro available in there. I could run the power cords into the garage and completely hide them or I could mount a GFI on the outside wall of the garage close to the pond.

something I am curious about... If a 10 gallon planted aquarium can remain in balance for years without major issue, why would a 200 gallon pond be hard to manage?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
a small pondless waterfall would be another option... but, how about the other side of the porch or backyard where you can build a nice one? have you considered these options?

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
You could actually have the whole filtration, and electrical system inside your garage and out of sight. This would make your pond more eye appealing.

I think you are onto something great.

Reaction score
The porch goes the width of the front of the house, within a couple of feet of the property line. I might add a small water feature to the back, but it will probably be just a half whiskey barrel with a small fountain. I was really hoping to fill the space with rock & water. Going fishless, if only for the first year to see if everything remains in balance might be a good option. Give me a minute, I'll show you what I was hoping to do.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Matak,

My pond is a 365 gallon pre-molded pond from Lowes and it has been up an running since Sept of 2008. I have a 18 gallon skimmer/pre-filter where the 750 GPH water pump is that is inline to a 27 gallon boi-filter. Based on your configration between your garage and the side walk, you will have to come up with a different filtration system.

If you can consult a local professional pond supply as to what might be the best filter setup for your existing location. I am sure there is a system that will work for you and look quite eye appealing when your done.

My pond has evolved over the last year and ahlf to what it is now. Be creative and make changes if and when you have to. You can make it work.

Reaction score
Matak said:
Hi koikeepr. Yes, If you look at the last pic you can see a blue plastic raceway that will eventually pass through the foundation into the garage. There is hydro available in there. I could run the power cords into the garage and completely hide them or I could mount a GFI on the outside wall of the garage close to the pond.

something I am curious about... If a 10 gallon planted aquarium can remain in balance for years without major issue, why would a 200 gallon pond be hard to manage?

Because one typically does not keep fish that are monster eaters/poopers in a 10 gallon aquarium. Tropicals are different than pond fish. You should not keep koi in a 200 gallon pond. Perhaps you can get away with a few comet goldfish, but they can get pretty large as well.

I'm not saying you can't do it. What I'm saying is that the smaller the pond the more difficult it becomes to maintain water quality, particularly once you introduce pond type fish. It's harder to manage waste in a smaller area. It can be done, you just need to be prepared for the fact that you may need to do more maintenance, more partial water changes, more often to keep things stable. All depends on how much work you are willing to do. Much easier to keep a 2000 gallon pond in good shape than a 200 gallon one. Much easier to keep a 100 gallon indoor aquarium in good shape versus a 10 gallon one.

Just trying to keep it real so you are aware of some of the things you'll face. Oh, and how do you plan on keeping neighborhood cats and other varmint from grabbing your fish (I won't even get started on the neighborhood kids since it doesn't appear from the photos you've got a front yard fence). I'm assuming you can't go very deep in that small area...You didn't mention how deep you'd go.

Also, how will you keep someone from potentially falling in like a small child who might be curious about your little pond and come up to it? Most ordinances have rules about open bodies of water (pools, ponds) without fencing. What if your UPS guy is bringing you a big box and misses your narrow walkway and sticks a foot over the side and into your pond? Again, just trying to keep it real. I think if you are serious about a pond, you could find a much better and safer location--not just for the fish, but for others as well.

How are you calculating your 200 gal end size, by the way?

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Because one typically does not keep fish that are monster eaters/poopers in a 10 gallon aquarium. Tropicals are different than pond fish. You should not keep koi in a 200 gallon pond. Perhaps you can get away with a few comet goldfish, but they can get pretty large as well.

I'm not saying you can't do it. What I'm saying is that the smaller the pond the more difficult it becomes to maintain water quality, particularly once you introduce pond type fish. It's harder to manage waste in a smaller area. It can be done, you just need to be prepared for the fact that you may need to do more maintenance, more partial water changes, more often to keep things stable. All depends on how much work you are willing to do. Much easier to keep a 2000 gallon pond in good shape than a 200 gallon one. Much easier to keep a 100 gallon indoor aquarium in good shape versus a 10 gallon one.

Just trying to keep it real so you are aware of some of the things you'll face. Oh, and how do you plan on keeping neighborhood cats and other varmint from grabbing your fish (I won't even get started on the neighborhood kids since it doesn't appear from the photos you've got a front yard fence). I'm assuming you can't go very deep in that small area...You didn't mention how deep you'd go.

Also, how will you keep someone from potentially falling in like a small child who might be curious about your little pond and come up to it? Most ordinances have rules about open bodies of water (pools, ponds) without fencing. What if your UPS guy is bringing you a big box and misses your narrow walkway and sticks a foot over the side and into your pond? Again, just trying to keep it real. I think if you are serious about a pond, you could find a much better and safer location--not just for the fish, but for others as well.

How are you calculating your 200 gal end size, by the way?

Ah, bioload. Now you are talking my language. I have a 30g planted tank. I keep my bio-load low; about 9" of narrow bodied fish which keeps me out of trouble. Are there smaller native fish that keep well in a small pond?

The kids? There are a lot of them that live on either side and all up & down the street. They are all well behaved, but I didn't even consider the possibility of an accident. Thanks for the heads up, I will definitely have to think around that one.

As far as varmints are concerned, I think that some well placed rockery would give the fish a safe zone. Especially if I make it deep enough. Which brings us to your last point, how I arrived at 200 gallons. I made the number up.

But, the pond is roughly 3' X 11'. And I was going to make it about 3' deep at the south end, opposite the cascade. At an average of 1½' depth that makes it about 45 ft³ which is about 330 gallons. So I was only off by 60% ;)

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Matak said:
But, the pond is roughly 3' X 11'. And I was going to make it about 3' deep at the south end, opposite the cascade. At an average of 1½' depth that makes it about 45 ft³ which is about 330 gallons. So I was only off by 60% ;)

(36 x 132 x 18)/231=370 gallons ;)

I don't know about your zoning for ponds, but in So Cal they require a permit for over 18" deep. No one gets them, but I suspect it is to ensure safety for kids. most likely a fence and gate, much the same as for swimming pools.

As for rocks, keep them off the bottom. it makes for a dirty pond unless you have a torrent of current passing over them. There are many ways you can provide a safe haven without adding rocks for hiding places.

Reaction score
I'm not sure about municipal regulations regarding ponds here. There is a street outside of town that has estate & rural homes, many that have medium & large ponds in their front yards, but in town things may be different. I'm concerned about some small child bending over & falling in. I might have to go with a pondless waterfall. Darn:protest: But in the meanwhile I will check with my local zoning dept.

BTW, has anyone done a cascade as opposed to a waterfall?

Ask a Question