newbie to ponds

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi I'm new to ponds. So I am looking for some experienced guidance.
I picked up a small pond liner. I think its almost 300 gallon, assuming I calculated it correctly.
I have no idea were to start from here. I got it in the ground, but I'm trying to make sure I get all I need to get started.
First question is, will I be able to keep fish in this small pond? I know size is a problem.
Second how do I know what size filters or pumps to get for it?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and preforms I would get fat fantails ,they don't breed much and don't get big .Not sure where you live but winter is always a factor in ponding and so is heat .In my small preformed I had I had a 450 gph pump and an aerator If you don't mind cleaning a foam pad you can just use the filter foam that comes in the pump you can get something like this at lowes .Will take up room in the pond
100_7015.JPG
100_7016.JPG
100_7018.JPG
100_7019.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Where to do you live? That makes a difference in how well the fish will do in a small pond.

Welcome to our group!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Welcome toforum .what is the length width of the liner ? u can have pair of fish (comet goldfish) if no extreme cold , have pump of same volume per hour ur pond has . like 200 g/h wud b fine for 2 small fishes and any small filter

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
welcome and preforms I would get fat fantails ,they don't breed much and don't get big .Not sure where you live but winter is always a factor in ponding and so is heat .In my small preformed I had I had a 450 gph pump and an aerator If you don't mind cleaning a foam pad you can just use the filter foam that comes in the pump you can get something like this at lowes .Will take up room in the pond View attachment 98961 View attachment 98962 View attachment 98963 View attachment 98964
ur rite sisy about that fantail dont multiply that much but it is not as hardy as comets in terms of water quality , diseases , predators and climate and not much of beginners fish so that shud b taken in to consideration as shes having her 1st pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have never had a fantail that had problems and lots of people that have started up small ponds have gotten them .Even the garden center that sells fish now handle them for customers .It is a great small pond fish .Not sure about really cold climates but here they do great .Comets and goldfish and shubbies breed way to much for a new ponder and could be hard on a smaller pond .I had one owner talk to me at the garden center and she went from 4 fish in 1 season to 20+ plus fish in her small pond which was a preformed one from lowes .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome toforum .what is the length width of the liner ? u can have pair of fish (comet goldfish) if no extreme cold , have pump of same volume per hour ur pond has . like 200 g/h wud b fine for 2 small fishes and any small filter
I'm at 8-9000 ft nm it's 3'x5' n 2.5 ft deep or 3 it's frozen now so k can't get the depth

Ask a Question