Newbie to ponds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I plan to make a raised bed pond approx 7ft long by 4/5ft wide by 2/3ft high, here is my issues, I would like to have 1/2ft into the ground as well as the 2/3ft raised frame, do I need to somehow support the frame ? Was going to make it like a stud wall but with 4x8 and finish the outer with deck board, fixed together with 120mm timberlok screws countersunk and capped.

Like I say my main concern is am I ok to put the framework around a 2ft deep hole, could I leave a ledge for the frame to sit on ?

Thanks and sorry if my question sounds bizarre.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
As Meyer stated, if you're going to have a wall you will want to do a concrete ring footer, something like this:

IMG_5150.JPG

IMG_5166.JPG

IMG_5189.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks guys it's not going to be a wall, its just making the depth deeper with the raised frame around it, I was leaving around half a foot from the raised frame to the hole was thinking I could do without footings, it will be resting on the ground with a 1/2 foot ledge from frame to hole.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
welcome2.gif

I'm looking to build something similar to what you described, good luck, and hopefully you will post your journey from start to finish!

eta: I still think you need footings!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!. Mine is in the ground so can't help with your ??.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks guys it's not going to be a wall, its just making the depth deeper with the raised frame around it, I was leaving around half a foot from the raised frame to the hole was thinking I could do without footings, it will be resting on the ground with a 1/2 foot ledge from frame to hole.

A wooden wall must be anchored in some fashion or it will "walk" over time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi and Welcome! I don't think a 2x4 wall will be stable with the pressure of the water against it. Obviously if someone did the engineering they could tell you, but I have done concrete work and typically 2x4 walls need to be kicked to keep them from buckling if there is a lot of pressure against it. The bottom of the wall will have more pressure against it than the top. I'm guessing somewhere 150-200 lbs per square foot close to the bottom of a 2-3 ft high wall. Maybe build your wall before setting it in the pond and prop it up on the ends and try standing on it if you weigh around that much. I doubt it will hold you. Also if it is not perfectly level this will create more problems so a footing makes sense to do as well.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Am I understanding this right? I thought the part out of the ground was not going to be very high. Only 1/2 ft high above the edge of pond? Or is it going to be 2 to 3 ft above the ground level? I am confused.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I interpreted the following:

" I would like to have 1/2ft into the ground as well as the 2/3ft raised frame"

to mean:

"I would like to have 1 to 2 feet into the ground as well as 2 to 3 feet raised frame"

So if I read that right we are talking about up to 5 feet of water. If that's the case you're really going to want a cement collar (footing) that you can use to both support the wall above ground and also help stabilize the wall below ground. Also, two-to-three feet of water is going to put a LOT of lateral pressure on the walls.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am I understanding this right? I thought the part out of the ground was not going to be very high. Only 1/2 ft high above the edge of pond? Or is it going to be 2 to 3 ft above the ground level? I am confused.
It's going to be 2ft above ground level and 1/2 foot below ground with a ledge of around half a foot from the framework to the hole, I was actually thinking of using metal spikes to secure the framework would this work ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm struggling to understand what the difference is that if you just have a raised pond you don't need footings but if you have sunken and raised you need footings ?

MoonShadows

The Jam Man
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome, there are lots of above ground pond kits available, I don't know how extensive the framing is on them. @MoonShadows has one, maybe can offer some insight.
@Faebinder , do you have any insight?

The framing around my 425 gallon pond is made from redwood 2x3's with interlocking notches at the ends (think log cabin). Below is a pic before I attached the 3 benches. The pond is about 6' wide and 30" deep. The lack of heavy duty framing, I believe, has to do with the fact that it is a hexagon...pulling evenly in all 6 directions. Of course as variables change...the shape of a pond....the water volume...the length the sides...the size of the frame needs to be able to accommodate all these.

008-Apr_15.jpg

Ask a Question