Newbie Well Water Question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. I've been in the aquarium hobby for many years and have vast experience with fresh and saltwater aquarium maintenance, filtration, stocking, etc., but would now like to venture into ponds and thankfully found this forum. I live in Miami Florida and plan on building at 20'X11' pond with a 3-4' depth, with half the depth in ground. My plan is keep my arowana, pair of oscars, and sevrums in the pond and need as much as help as you can give me in relation to the filtration. My initial thought was to filter via a BOG filter that would be about 25% of the pond size, but a friend suggested that I can go with a well water setup, where I would change out (on timer) a portion of the water twice daily. I've searched online and within the forum and can't find any similar well water constant water change setups. Does anyone have any thoughts on setting up such a system? Thank you.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1591201552315.gif
@agave60
Lots here have bogs and they swear by them. I wish I would have built one myself.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply j.w. My space is limited and the bog would take a large part of my pond real estate (30%).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well water depends on what your well water reads in water tests. Mine is very acidic and soft, if I did well water changes the fish would die, esp that often. Check the quality of you water.

Welcome to our forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I saw an article once that compared a well-water raised fish with his brother that was raised in a typical filter system. The goldfish from the constantly refreshed water source was much larger than his sibling. The article was claiming that goldfish release hormones that can stunt growth in a closed system, while constantly flushing the water away leads to much greater growth. Can't say how conclusive any of it is, but I can say that it's definitely appealing to have automatic water changes that essentially constantly refresh the water supply. Like Addy said, that would depend on the quality (and stability) of your well water.

Also seems like an expensive water bill to me, but you're probably expecting that!

I have literally no advice to give on how to set up a well water system, though! Sorry!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I saw an article once that compared a well-water raised fish with his brother that was raised in a typical filter system. The goldfish from the constantly refreshed water source was much larger than his sibling. The article was claiming that goldfish release hormones that can stunt growth in a closed system, while constantly flushing the water away leads to much greater growth. Can't say how conclusive any of it is, but I can say that it's definitely appealing to have automatic water changes that essentially constantly refresh the water supply. Like Addy said, that would depend on the quality (and stability) of your well water.

Also seems like an expensive water bill to me, but you're probably expecting that!

I have literally no advice to give on how to set up a well water system, though! Sorry!
I heard something similar from the guy I used to get my fish from. He was mainly speaking of koi. He said they release fermones into the water and diluting the fermones with water changes will result in larger fish.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
There are some on here that employ a constant trickle system on their ponds during the spring and summer months, and have an overflow directing the water away from their pond.

If you don’t have room for a bog just add a lot of plants to the main pond. While not as effective as a bog they will still maintain water quality, you can design the pond with areas of planting beds of pea gravel or 3/4” gravel. Planting stuff bare root in those beds. I did this initially in my pond ( along with a bog)and at this point pretty much have plants popping up between the rocks all around the edge of the pond.

The pheromone thing at this point is just theory as Alyssafish said. Never really seen any scientific papers on the subject.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the replies, after reading them, I'm leaning towards the bog option. What size pump and style (internal or external) would you guys recommend for a 4500 gallon, bog filtered pond? Also would love to hear brand recommendations. Thanks again!

Ask a Question