Newbie with a pond please help

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lets see if I can show you. I have a pump that has a hose which comes out of the pond and then is tied to PVC that is cut with holes to allow water to evenly escape. It looked like this
344.JPG

I then covered that with pea gravel and planted in it

7.JPG

And now it functions as a bog/waterfall like this

2015-06-02 07.04.17.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The utility pump goes into the ground and comes out of the clearish tube

Now the black hose that is by the pump does nothing there is no water goes in the water comes out it's just there
So I'm wondering what ties it all together underground? That pump may have had a splitter on it that allowed some water to flow to the waterfall and split some to that black hose for what could have been a filter or a water feature.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm assuming that white is the water coming IN from the pump and the PVC is connected to the black long pipe allowing the water to go OUT.
Maybe?? Lol
Does any of it actually work? I mean when you turn the pump on, what water comes out of where?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I got it. Ok near as I can gues then that black hose used to hook up to the black PVC pipe that functioned as the bog.
Here's a few final questions, how big is your pond and how deep? Do you eventually want fish? And how large in diameter are the existing tubing?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm actually getting ready to head out for the weekend but here is what I would recommend. I'd buy a new pump first and foremost. I have a laguna which I love, there are a million to choose from. Ideally you want to move your water twice an hour if you plan on having fish, if you don't then you can just get something to move the water around so it won't stagnate. I love my bog, it looks like the area where that black PVC pipe is used to be a bog area, if it is, hook up your pump to that pipe, cover it with rocks and plant. The water will filter up and then down the waterfall. This is if you don't have fish... If you do, then you'll want some additional filtration. I hope that at least gets you started in the right direction.
Also I would read through the showcases on this site, a lot of us, including me, inherited a mess of a pond when we bought our house, the showcases helped me shape what I wanted and gave me a lot of info. The rest, ask away, we are always willing to answer what we can.
Good luck!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Maybe the hoses were routed under ground to keep them out of sight and out of the way....?? Unless you have a bottom drain system, hiding the hoses can be an issue.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
That is alot of wattage it uses and the blue stuff is reusable furnace filter .I think you best bet is to abandon all that old stuff and redo it .My 2400 gph laguna pump only uses 65 watts .I use sump pump hose and just run it in the pond .Much easier if it leaks it goes back into the pond ,

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Your pump is a Danner Pondmaster Mag-drive pump 750 gph.
The black bar with holes on top of the waterfall is a diffuser tube. It spreads the water flow evenly over the waterfall width.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Your pump is a Danner Pondmaster Mag-drive pump 750 gph.
The black bar with holes on top of the waterfall is a diffuser tube. It spreads the water flow evenly over the waterfall width.
Yes we hooked a pump to the black hose in water and it did come out the vlack bar on top

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
keep looking for lines, if there is a buried filter, there should be a way to drain it and rinse it out.

Ask a Question