Newbie with disconnected equipment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just posted to the newcomer forum. I sure welcome all the help you all can give me. The pond we got is quite shallow. Only about 10” on average deep. It is roundish at about 10 to 11 ft wide. No fish but several snakes! It has a waterfall feature. Not if the rocks have fallen away.
ALL of the equipment was disconnected and rather strewn about. I brought the pumps in and ran them in a bucket of water and they all work.
There are plants all around and in the water. Some types of water lily and rushes.
Our first job was to cut back some dead and dying trees around it and pull out dead plants. My husband raked the bottom and found the submersible pump but not it’s intake. There are round rocks in the bottom. He pulled out what appeared to be a pump bucket but the wind blew it back in.
There is no skimmer in this pond and everything I have read has included a skimmer.
There is an equipment box that obviously connected to a pump. At one time a pipe in the box was connected to a filter basket and external centrifugal pump. I think this pump is an MDM Valueflo. It is labeled with an MDM serial number. It has a fasco motor. 115 volts 2 amps 1550 rpm Maybe the external was hooked up and then they bypassed that for the submersible? Although the pump works maybe there is a leak? I can’t tell if both pumps operated at the same time. It appears from the connection that they replaced the centrifugal pump with the submersible. There is also a small submersible that I’m guessing was for aeration. These were all just in or sitting outside the pond area.
The waterfall is about 9’ long and the bottom pool is about 18” from the pond below. I’m guessing an elevation of about 4 ft.
Finally there is a Tetra bio filter that is looking a little worse for wear but still has media.
Centrifugal pump with strainer basket
583FB3EF-D607-4D18-AD24-F2D8A16CEFFC.jpeg

Equipment box with old connection and pipe running through that.
CBE40D6C-4DEB-4A49-84EA-F8B7E9082604.jpeg

Submersible without cover
984A8922-7D89-4120-BC0A-E4D3B80A8E0E.jpeg

Unreadable label
891ABB42-0404-4D48-B317-AA2A77C0DF04.jpeg
w

Waterfall
42915031-3E56-45CC-A6C6-6F19D88B7FC9.jpeg

Attachments

• 73768940-DF11-4B34-876D-8E1ED5E75984.jpeg
    73768940-DF11-4B34-876D-8E1ED5E75984.jpeg
    328.3 KB · Views: 156
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
10"?!

That's really shallow. I see you're in Denver, so you shouldn't have prolonged deep freezes, but that's still shallow. At a minimum, you should remove all the stone on the bottom to gain some depth.

Reaction score
You don't need more than one pump. I'd get rid of everything and stay with a submersible pump. If you do that you won't be pulling the water and you won't need an inlet. Attach the outlet to your filter and the output from the filter back to the waterfalls.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. I think they stopped using the big valueflo external type pump and replaced it with a submersible. Since the impeller still works in that one I’m wondering if I can get a replacement intake screen. It would probably be more cost effective to get a new pump though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I’m not sure why they would bother to have a pond and yet have it be so shallow. It seems that the plants in it have survived the winters without any care at all.

Reaction score
Country
Puerto Rico
Hello i am new to this will someone look at my post amd shed light please? Looking flward to starting a restuarunt in puerto rico with a big koy "canal" going around the outside bar can someone shed light please? Thanks

Ask a Question